Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows - USB Ports not working after Update

Windows - USB Ports not working after Update

Any Windows IT person out there? After a Windows Update our USB Ports stopped working so no Mouse, No Keyboard so we can't log in. If I use "Remote Desktop Connection" I can log in and use this PC on our Network. I went to Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Universal Serial Bus Controllers and the screen shot attachment is what I got. I tried to reload them but that didn't work. Deleted the last Windows Update but that didn't help either. Anyone have a fix for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter,

I’m an IT guy by trade, and haven’t seen this before. My troubleshooting on something like this is to reboot (which I assume you’ve done), and then Google the heck out of the issue. This last step has made me look like a genius more often than I care to admit.

Is there a way to reload the USB Drivers? I tried deleting them but still have them load with the little yellow triangles. I guessing the last update was a Security Update which I deleted and it reloaded but didn't change the USB stuff. I googled and looked at a bunch of Youtube videos but none were of any help.

Re-installing the USB drivers might be needed. What’s the make of the PC? If a big name like Dell or HP, their support pages should have drivers for whichever version of Windows you are running.

In a case like this I’d do as I mentioned before. For example, Google “Dell Precision 400 drivers” (changing the query to suit your particular model). Then download the driver package and follow the instructions on the support page.

Best of luck.

Mike

I give up, I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything that worked. I think it's just too old. It's a Dell Optiplex 390, 64 bit. I'm also trying to load it from another PC so this may be part of the problem. This is a work PC so it looks like were going to have to ask for a replacement. Thanks for the help Mike.

I had to use the restore to an earlier wins on my wives computer. you get there by going into PC Settings and the to recovery. There is a tutorial that shows you how.

Time for a reformat and reinstall? Nuclear option, but sometimes needed! Esp. if the PC/install is old.

Try disconnecting the usb cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in...

I had a usb hub that needed this "fix" once in a while

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Win restore in safe mode, worth a try.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

The last Windows update messed up a lot of computers. I hate it when they tell you that you need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall. Haven't had to wipe my hard drive in 6 years just keep up with it.

Sometimes to kick start a misbehaving USB device, you remove it from the list (in device manager, right click, choose uninstall), then reboot the system. It should see the device and attempt to find and load drivers.

You should be able to do a reinstall of Windows without wiping out your data. I never tried it be MS says you can do that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It is working again! Someone told me they tried a System Restore so I assumed it wouldn't work. I gave it a try tonight and it took it back to good USB drivers. I wasn't expecting it to work but gave it a try. What I tried and didn't work was to simply unplug the USB cables, restart the PC and plug them back in. I did the uninstall driver thing but they did not reload. We have no Windows disk for this PC so the nuclear attempt could not be tried. Thanks everyone for all the replies & suggestions. Now I need to make a Restore Point in case the usb drivers stop working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    It is working again! Someone told me they tried a System Restore so I assumed it wouldn't work. I gave it a try tonight and it took it back to good USB drivers. I wasn't expecting it to work but gave it a try. What I tried and didn't work was to simply unplug the USB cables, restart the PC and plug them back in. I did the uninstall driver thing but they did not reload. We have no Windows disk for this PC so the nuclear attempt could not be tried. Thanks everyone for all the replies & suggestions. Now I need to make a Restore Point in case the usb drivers stop working again.
    When I didn't have a Windows 10 disk for a computer, I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded Windows 10. You don't have to buy it to download it - they get you when you start Windows up after you install it - they ask for your product serial number. If you're installing over a valid Windows 10 system, it just picks up the serial number from the system - you don't need to know the serial number.

And I understand that one install option is to keep your programs and data and just re-load the operating system. When I did it, I wanted to wipe the computer clean so I chose that option.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the Info Mike.