Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Merrill Herring View Post
    Looking for a quite air compressor for my woodworking shop, needs to maintain pressure will be mostly used for nail guns.
    I found Makita MAC5200 as a very capable and not so loud compressor - actually I never knew any model quieter than it. I have a very small shop and it is homing the compressor also so I really needed something not so loud and that Makita compressor model did not brought me any regrets!

I have listened and read good things on California Air but it looks their models are oil less and it has some consequences for overall lifespan of the equipment and possible increasing of the noise level as time goes by. Even if I had access to compressors from them I am not sure if I really would go for a oil less compressor model.

I hope you choose something that be glad for you for the next years!

All the best,
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 01-27-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo... as usual!

The MAC2400 is 79db, the 5200 is 90db, and the Rolair JC-10plus and some of the California Air Tools compressors are 60db. I believe I read that every 10db louder is a doubling of the volume. I find that a 79db compressor is loud enough to be annoying and intrusive. 60db is quiet enough to have a conversation or listen to music while it's running. So it looks like there is a broad range of what people consider to be a quiet compressor. OHSA recommends hearing protection starting at 85 decibels.

They leave out the most important number which is the distance from the noise maker where they measured the. If they measured it at say 5 feet and another is measured at 10 feet then if they make the exact same amount of noise then one measured at 10 feet will be 1/4 as loud. This is the sound spreads out into a bigger volume as it moves farther. So the sound intensity(loudness) decreases following the inverse square law. Just like a flash light.

It did help my compressor when I put a oil bath air cleaner on the intake. I have read that putting a muffler on the intake will help a lot on compressor noise. I figure any oil pulled through will help lube the valves, rings etc.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    The MAC2400 is 79db, the 5200 is 90db, and the Rolair JC-10plus and some of the California Air Tools compressors are 60db. I believe I read that every 10db louder is a doubling of the volume. I find that a 79db compressor is loud enough to be annoying and intrusive. 60db is quiet enough to have a conversation or listen to music while it's running. So it looks like there is a broad range of what people consider to be a quiet compressor. OHSA recommends hearing protection starting at 85 decibels.
    Yup
    the design is that of thomas compressor that have been around for years and spendy
    The wobble piston
    Now the Rolair JC-10plus and California Air Tools compressors use the wobble piston system
    Carpe Lignum

You can't really determine much from the published sound ratings of compressors. The MAC700 and MAC2400 are supposedly 79db but are really almost the same irritation level as the California Air Tools 6010, which claims 60db. The sounds the Makita make are low pitch and mostly pleasant sounds, while the CAT is mostly unpleasant sounds. I would rather be in a small confined space with either Makita BUT if you had a basement shop the sound of the Makitas might travel upstairs and be audible while the CAT would not.

I have no problem talking on a business phone in a normal voice 10' away from a running MAC700. I could close the door in between but there is simply no reason to do that.

The older CAT-10020 is rated 70db but also seems quieter than the 60db 6010.

Don't make the assumption that all the Makitas are quiet, the MAC5200 is NOT.

I want to thanks everyone for their input, I think it is down to either the Mac2400 or the Rolair JC 10 plus. It looks like the JC 10 is no longer made. Everyone says get one the is oiled, but the Rolair is not. Which one should I pick.

Ignore recommendations of oil vs oilless. They are making generalization that aren't correct.

The JC 10 is very quiet but puts out very little air. If you are just running a small nail gun or even a bigger one in light use, the JC10 will be fine. It won't let you use lots of tools because it doesn't do high pressure. For example, you can't air up a motorhome or truck tire. It won't have the volume to blow out a piece of equipment like a window AC or dust extractor filter.

The MAC700 is well above the JC10 in performance and the MAC2400 is above that. MAC2400 is similar to VT20ST Rolair. All of these are oiled compressors with a heavy duty cycle. They can run continuously, which might be important.

I don't know what a JC10 plus is as compared to the JC10 that I've seen.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 01-27-2018 at 3:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Well, I have resources and know how to measure the noise level and my MAC5200 definetively is under 80 dB at 2m away from it. There is sample variation and some manufacturers uses "old data" even after some update in their equipment... bottom line is I do not believe blindly in the manufacturers data.

You are right, 10 dB means the double of energy or sound pressure but not at the perception as our audition is approximately logarithmic.

The JC10 plus is just an updated version of the JC10. The major changes are they made the gauges face up instead of to the side, and the drain valve is easier to operate. Before the Plus a lot of folks, myself included, were swapping out the drain valve.

When researching air compressors last spring I had my eye on a California Air Tools but went with a Ridgid for budget reasons. Got the Ridgid home, turned it on for the break in cycle, gave it about two minutes and then said "nope". Took it right back and got ordered a CAT 10 gallon. It's crazy quiet. It got roughed up in shipping and a part broke off and fell into the motor (that's what it sounded like at least). I didn't even turn it on as I could hear it rattling around as I moved the compressor. My order was placed through Amazon and they picked it up the next day and I received another one two days later. I like it and would buy another one when/if the need arises.

11. I have only had it a couple weeks, but I am really happy with my California Air Tools 10020C so far. It is really quiet, works well, and generally seems well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    The JC10 plus is just an updated version of the JC10. The major changes are they made the gauges face up instead of to the side, and the drain valve is easier to operate. Before the Plus a lot of folks, myself included, were swapping out the drain valve.
    I heard there was some bad reviews on the first model.
    l thats why I saw the cal10 for under 200, at menrads, I bought it last year
    I just ordered jc10 plus for my trim work
    maybe a side by side comparison to follow
    Last edited by phil harold; 01-27-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

Another vote for California Air Tools compressors. I got the CAT-10020CAD which has an automatic drain. Every time the compressor starts it lets out a little air from the drain valve. The duration of the release is user selectable. I can put it in a corner and never need to worry about draining the water from the tank.
    At only 70db it is very quiet.

My MAC2400 has been going strong for about 8 years. I have never checked or changed the oil, it has been left outside, hauled in the back of my truck, etc. Been a great compressor.

For the shop, I prefer my big Wayne Vaughn, or my bigger Quincy.

Another vote for Rolair JC10.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.