Thread: single/dual-ended LED tubes

single/dual-ended LED tubes

I was all set to go with the Hyperikon 90+ CRI tubes when I realized they are double-ended instead of single-ended. It seems like for future proofing single-ended will be it since they are UL listed and doubled-ended is not (since you can grab both ends of the tube and not get shocked).

Since I have a new installation my decision is harder, since I can't find any "LED-ready" dual-ended strips without a ballast - they are all single-ended. So I'd have to buy a bunch of fluorescent type and rewire them, more expensive and a little wasteful since I'd throw all the ballasts away. Also in 7-10 years I'd rather not have to replace all the strips if dual-ended LED's aren't available. Seems better to go all single-ended?

Does anyone know of a source of singled-ended high-CRI 4' LED tubes?

Dual ended work better if you have shunted tombstones (lots of modern fixtures seem to have them).

But it's very easy to future proof your dual-ended install by just wiring up both sides of the tombstones on one end of the fixture and tucking the spare wire away. If you switch to single ended all you'd do is disconnect the other end of the fixture and tie its feed wire to the spare from the other side, and you're set.

Blog Entries
    1000bulbs.com has them. https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/200882/PLT-10916.html 4' bare LED single ended fixtures. And they have a good choice of bulbs. I've installed over 200 of these: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/200882/PLT-10916.html I like them, but if you need a CRI more than 83, you need to look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-26-2018 at 6:52 PM.
    NOW you tell me...