Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best table saw fence

Best table saw fence

Would like input on what everyone thinks is now the best table saw fence out there. I want to use it on a table saw that has an extension table for cut up to 50 inches. Years ago it was Biesmeyer but this system does not even get on the top 5 when I google it, and those who have purchased one recently say it is not as good as it used to be.

For ultra precision and repeatability, it's tough to beat the Incra system. For ease of use, durability, and good daily use precision, a good Biese clone would be the way to go IMO (HTC, PM Accufence, Jet Xacta, Saw Stop T-Glide, Shop Fox Classic, etc). I also like the Vega. There are pros and cons with each, so it's really a personal decision based on your needs.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hi Merrill, I would look for one of the multi-function fences that can do high/low and short/long like a Euro fence.

They increase your safety and the capability of the saw by providing correct positioning and support for all work operations.

Regards, Rod.

What did the Google search you did say was the top fence?

Depends on what your needs are. The pin type like on old saws I think is the best, but they are a pain to use. They won't deflect with a power feeder, and they won't move if you bump it. Short of welding it to the deck, it's about as solid a fence as you can get.

For a regular T lock type fence, I would likely buy a fence and rails from SawStop right now. They've got a pretty nice setup. The powermatic fences are good too, but I really don't like the UHMW faces they put on them. I prefer laminate faces as I think they are more slippery, and actually wear better.

Sharpen up web site and the Delta 36-T30 T2 was number 1, Shop Fox W1716, Vega Pro 50, Craftsman and Bosch.

My Biesmeyer and Unifence are perfectly suited to the work I do. Couldn't ask for better.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

As new t-square type fences go, I'd recommend the Vega Pro ones. Added one recently to my cabinet saw and like it a lot so far.

You’ve got a lot to learn if you’re going by that Sharpen Up website. Looks to be amazon marketing, and the article is lot of mumbo jumbo.

I think the best saw fence is one that's flat.
    It should also be very stiff and square to the table along its length.
    These are the attributes of saw fence on my Davis and wells saw so I guess I have the best saw fence.
    Aj

I have the Vega and like it. If I was to replace, I would go with the VSCT fence.

I have the SawStop fence on my PCS. I like it, with one quibble. You cannot snug the fence up to a piece that is against the blade and lock the fence down to set it to the width of the piece. The far end of the fence "lags" behind the end at the rail, so it is slightly skewed out until you lock it down. When you lock it down, it pivots closer to the blade. (It does the reverse when you move the fence away from the blade and then lock it.) This is not a problem when you are using the scale on the rail, which is very accurate and consistent. I just miss having the ability to set the fence from an existing piece without having to guess how much it is going to pivot. Now I usually measure the piece and set the fence from the scale. Like everything else involving measurements, there is a risk of small errors. Other than this flaw, it is an excellent fence IMO.

I love the fence on my Sawstop PCS, but I have thought about replacing it with the VSCT aluminum extrusion fence. That seems to me like it would be the best option out there if not going with the SawStop Biesmeyer style.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Jon,
    That deflection can be dialed down by moving the 2 pads that ride on the back of the front rail closer to the rail. These are the 2 setscrews that you use to use for the fence alignment. I assume the SawStop fence adjusts the same way. Adjust them too close to the rail and the fence won't slide very well unlocked.

Merrill
    The fence is a personal. I like a Biesemeyer clone. The old Biesemeyer was made from steel. The new ones are made from Aluminum and probably the reason of the not so stellar reviews. Incra is a good fence but takes up too much space for me. I heard the Vega fence is great. The T2 is nice but not as strong as a Biesemeyer clone. I have a Shop Fox classic and like it. I don't know what the model number is but the fence on the G0690 table saw sure glides nice and doesn't have the issues that Jon has. I have often thought of welding up a version of the very super cool tools fence with an attachment similar to a Unifence but haven't got around to it. There are a lot of good choices.

Blog Entries
    I upgraded to a Beismeyer fence many years ago and it still locks down perpendicular every time. The Delta 36-T30 T2 looks remarkably like the Beismeyer original fence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute