Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood glue on cast iron table saw top

Wood glue on cast iron table saw top

I spilled some wood glue on my cast iron table saw top during a glue up. It's Titebond II. How do I get it off?

BTW, this is my first post. I am a 13 year old hobby woodworker from Bedford, PA. I've been a serious woodworker for about a year, but I have been doing simple building for a long time.

Let it dry completely and then it should chip off easily.

get one of these to scape it off
    range-kleen-vacuum-accessories-686-64_1000.jpg

Paste wax and spring clamps...Important

Hello !

I think Mr. Lansing is right on the money....but I would also apply some Johnson's paste wax on the entire
    saw surface after the glue clean up. That will protect the surface better the next time the glue decides to
    make a run for it... Also you'll be pleased at the reduction of resistance after the polish is applied. The board
    that's being cut will slide through the cut easily. Be sure to use spring clamps on the top and off cut side so that
    the odds of a cut back will be very small. Safety first please.

Enjoy the shavings!
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 01-26-2018 at 8:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

You will probably end up with a little rust spot under the glue after you pop it off.

You can use fine steel wool and a little bit of mineral spirits (these are 2 things that are great to have on hand for a million reasons!) to remove the rust.

You will end up with a rust spot and then a stain. I would get it off now with dry paper towels. When the majority the glue is gone and it starts to get gummy then you can go with the razor blade scraper. Make sure all the glue is gone. Clean the table with mineral spirits and then follow with paste wax.

I got the same glue on my cast iron tablesaw top and it stained the heck out of it.

Next project: assembly table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C Stoltzfus View Post
    I spilled some wood glue on my cast iron table saw top during a glue up. It's Titebond II. How do I get it off?

BTW, this is my first post. I am a 13 year old hobby woodworker from Bedford, PA. I've been a serious woodworker for about a year, but I have been doing simple building for a long time.
    Welcome to the creek, we look forward to your posts and seeing your projects.

As others have said scrape the glue off as soon as possible. Use a good paste wax such as Johnson's Paste Floor wax on your cast iron surfaces.
    paste wax.jpeg
    Do not use any automotive car waxes as most contain water and silicone which will do damage to your cast iron and to your wood projects.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Almost all the Titebond are extremely acidic. This explains why they have such a negative impact on tool surfaces and also clamps. TBII for instance has a pH of 3.0 ... which is exceptionally acidic. If you glue up with TBII and wipe the glue with your thumb, you will likely be typing in your iPhone password for the next week or so.

Fortunately they remove easily with a razor blade, and if cleaned thoroughly the surface shouldn't oxidize too badly.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Acetone will clean up any Titebond that you can't physically scrape off. Wear a respirator when you use it, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well that takes all the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Well that takes all the fun out of it.
    Yea...I agree. Yesterday, I had to use the stuff to carefully remove an appliqué from a project with minimal damage (TB-III unfortunately) and wearing that mask for a couple hours wasn't much fun at all, especially when I got thirsty for the nice ice tea sitting a few feet away. But it's better than dying...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You make a good point, Mr. Becker. Dying would keep you from finishing your project......

I use Empire brand "Top Saver" to remove rust spots. Just apply with a synthetic scrubbing pad. A really bad rust spot (try rat pee!) leaves only a slight darkening of the steel. Most clean up so you won't even notice.