Thread: What's a used MM16 worth?

What's a used MM16 worth?

I'm hopeful to be in the market soon for a new to me used bandsaw. Based on my experiences using some different bandsaws, and the fact that I know I'm a tool snob and won't really be satisfied with anything less than top quality, I think I want to try and locate a used Minimax MM16. Alternatively, I've put enough mileage on an Italian Laguna LT18 to know that if one fell into my lap for a deal, I'd also be hard pressed to ignore that opportunity. Most old iron and monster sized saws are not an option due to space constraints/ low ceiling height in the shop. I'm also looking at other Italian makes,
    but this class of saw doesn't frequent Craigslist too often. Anywhere else to look specifically for used Italian bandsaws?

I know (roughly) about the differences from the earlier models with smaller motors and less re-saw compared to the most recent version. I would expect the earlier/older saws to be worth less, but how much less?

I've been searching the used market specifically for used Italian saws for a couple of months and have only seen 1 MM16 offering for around $2k. It was a newer model with a
    Laguna fence and looked well taken care of.

My my question is this: In your area, what is the price range that you see for a used MM16? Let's assume that condition is good (nothing broken, ready to use.)

My budget is likely to be $1500-1800, and I'm wondering if I'm dreaming, looking for a MM16 at this price or not?

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Where I live I would expect a pristine current spec saw with single phase electrics coming out of a hobby shop to sell in the range of 75% of current price. Well used, previous generation saws could go as low as 30% of current depending on variables.

I bought one a few months ago off Craigslist. $2100. Which is a bit high I feel for just the saw, but he had about 25-30 blades of varying sizes, some of which were brand new. Mines a newer version.

Your bigger issue might be finding a used MiniMax close enough to you.

I've never seen or heard of a used Minimax bandsaw for sale anywhere near me. A well-used 1990s Laguna 18" sold locally recently for $1800. That's the only Laguna bandsaw I've ever seen for sale locally. They do turn up occasionally in larger cities like Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA, so you might check the online ads there for pricing.

A 4 yr old MM16 has popped up on CL in Palm Springs, CA for 1375. Seller claims to have paid $2080 and have 80 hrs on it. I just wish I had the space.
    Dick Mahany.

Go for it Dick. You will make room somehow-some way. Kind of like "build it and they will come".
    David

John L. nails the price pretty well. I'd think 60-75% of current list. Obviously depends on whether it needs reconditioning and is single versus 3-phase. Single phase will be more attractive to the homeowner.

If you are just looking for a good quality bandsaw of that size, you might consider widening the search parameters to include some of the American made machines as well as other European models. For instance a Northfield 20" is still made and is a terrific saw with good under guide capacity. So too is the Tannewitz 24" (fairly rare) as well as the Crescent 20 and the Fay & Egan (Lightning line) 20, 24 and 30, Oliver 30 and of course the Yates Y20 (you'll never find one). Centauro (makes the SCM/Minimax?) marketed saws under their own name and the CO500, CO600 (etc.) are great saws and can often be found for very good prices. Meber (supplied Laguna at one time) were distributed in New England not too long ago (I see them frequently in shops) and in fact there is a Meber on one of the New England CL now. I wouldn't shy away from a cast iron saw such as the Northfield or similar if you get the opportunity to check them out, they are great saws. You will need to do some calculations on blade speed since many of these tools were manufactured for metal cutting or wood, likely not both. Inappropriately driven direct drive machines would be uneconomical to convert.

Note: (and obviously) be sure the under guide capacity matches your needs. My Centauro CO700 is about 15-1/2" which is more than I have ever needed. But I know the MM16 has a resaw of about 16", and that is likely more than any of the machines I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 01-26-2018 at 4:20 PM. Reason: resaw height note
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I believe this one is still available. https://charleston.craigslist.org/se...query=mini+max

The quality Euro machines hold their value very well and not many people let them go as you've already seen. 'Hopefully you can find one within your budget!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Ruest View Post
    I believe this one is still available. https://charleston.craigslist.org/se...query=mini+max
    Thanks Richard,

I think that's the one I've stumbled across and mentioned in my original post. I was just a bit off on remembering the asking price. Seems like an ok deal for a newer saw, just out of my current budget.