Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with a cedar log?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Ted, it can be refeshed by some light sanding. It can also be refreshed by an application of cedar oil. Saw it for sale at my local Ace hardware in with the varnishes and butcher block oil
    I found cedar oil at Woodcraft.

thanks I will get some oil and try it. I should have sanded them before we had new light gray carpet installed last week. Thats me as usual think about doing something a day late

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    It's true of taxonomy in any field. For decades I have had the same sort of discussion about pottery shape typologies. In archaeology, at least, the two ends of the "where to divide?" tended to be referred to as "lumpers" vs "splitters". I tended somewhat toward the "lumper" persuasion -- all the pottery I dealt studied was made by artisans, but was not fine. And it wasn't just details of shape which were uncertain -- I would have discussions with the director of the project as to the definition of "bowl" vs "pot" vs "jar".
    Of course we have this here with wood turning shapes, is it a bowl or platter or pot, however in the case of the Juniper it was at best only classified as a variety of the Juniper virginiana, and according the Florida university that variety status should not stand, so only Juniperus virginiana is the only accepted name for it.
    Have fun and take care