Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I more clumsy than average?

Am I more clumsy than average?

I keep "discovering" small cuts on my hands. My tools are sharp enough that I don't feel when I cut myself, I usually only notice them the next day when they hurt a little. I think chisels and shoulder plane are the usual culprits. Is this pretty normal or am I just being clumsy?

happens to me almost every day at work. ill look down and see blood on the ground or on a piece of wood ill be like where did that come from. jerry

My nicks seem to come most when I use the Stanley 70-something-or-other rabbeting plane. I have also nicked myself a couple-three times when reaching my off hand towards a freshly sharpened chisel I am holding and accidently bumping a finger on the reaching hand against the tip or corner of the blade. I do know how to get a chisel sharp and have that old-mans skin that will bleed if looked at harshly. And you are correct - a shoulder plane has that tiny little corner of the blade (the side running against the shoulder) that is exposed. I'm calling it normal...........not clumsy..........never...........ever.
    David

I have the same thing happen. I usually notice when I see blood on a piece of wood. If anyone wanted a sample of my DNA, all they'd have to do is come to my shop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I notice as I get older, nicks and cuts come easier. A project doesn't seem to go by without a small blood donation here or there. I give blood on almost every project.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yeah, little nicks seem to be an age-related issue. Hair and nails and skin all are pretty much the same stuff, and it doesn't work as well as we age. Hair gets thinner, nails break more often, and skin seems not quite as puncture-resistant as it used to be.

Happens every single time I use an edged tool. I keep bandaids in my plane till.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I almost cut the end of my thumb of on the table saw one time. I still have numbness in it.
    Use push sticks when ripping.

There is an article in the February issue of Fine Woodworking about Safe Ripping on the TABLESAW.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-25-2018 at 8:16 PM.

Totally normal Stephen, not sure about Frederick..........
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I almost chopped a toe off when my Mortice chisel fell out if the handle. It's been so dry here this winter I've noticed a lot of loose handles. Plus I am clumsy and have bad luck.
    Aj

If I'm not bleeding I ain't working. Pretty simple.

ken

Just part of the territory. I get cut by the sharp edges of wood as often as edge tools. Sharp tools make sharp edges so the dangers are surrounding you in all directions.
    Jim

Pay them no mind Frederick. I recently added a Band Aid supply to my shop after finding some that will actually stick in place.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Totally normal Stephen, not sure about Frederick..........
    Owwwwww!

Thanks David!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Pay them no mind Frederick. I recently added a Band Aid supply to my shop after finding some that will actually stick in place.
    Which ones are those, David?