Thread: IGaging DRO Settings

IGaging DRO Settings

We put three of these on various tools that we didnt want to spend the money on Proscales for. As with most of this imported stuff the manuals are pretty much useless. Im trying to decipher how you go about setting the DRO when you dont want to zero it but rather set it to a given value or dimension. For instance we put one on a roughing planer that we run occasionally and we run a board that measures .801, Im guessing you have to use the preset function to input .801 but doing that the DRO will sometimes read other erroneous dimensions.

The single page HF style "production instruction" sheet says "Use preset function to preset any desireable measurement reading under inch metric or decimal mode". What is a desirable measurement? The one you want? Your target dimension? etc.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-25-2018 at 5:19 PM. Reason: fixed the title

Sorry I can't help you with setting up the DRO, but someone in another thread mentioned a magnetic switch interfering with their DRO. They moved one or the other and the problems stopped.

I've got a half dozen of these around the shop.
    How can that even be possible without a numeric keypad?
    So I look forward to the answer also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I've got a half dozen of these around the shop.
    How can that even be possible without a numeric keypad?
    So I look forward to the answer also.
    Mike,
    Wondering what you mean "without a numeric keypad". I have read about a bunch of issues with ground loops and the DRO's (of many brands) when they are powered by DC wall warts or transformers.

I havent played around with these enough to really get my head around them. I can easily use the Preset function to perhaps run a piece, then use the preset function to input the dimension of the part that was run. And then subsequently be able to move up/down from that dimension. You of course have to be careful to mount all of your scales and readers with the proper end up (so it either reads as a positive dimension or negative dimension) but then at times the readout seems like it may bounce off the Preset function and there doesnt seem to be an indicator on the LCD that you are using a preset. It indicates if your in increment mode but not Preset.

Still playing around. Cant beat a half a thou DRO for the price if they hold up. On critical stuff the Proscale is the only way to go IMO but its hard to chunk off 200-300 bucks for a DRO for something you only run occasionally.

It is a royal pain in my opinion on the Igaging (unless things have changed lately). That is why for the planer I went with the Wixey. This post from Matt Meiser might help you out though.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....eadout-Install

Thanks Cary. We had initially put wixeys on two of these machines and they died in a year or so and were adding one to a shaper that the resolution on the wixeys is too course. The preset option works fine. You just run your part, enter in the dimension and done. I'm just trying to get my head around how exactly the preset function operates.

Matt's method seems fine but would be cumbersome if you want to recalibrate often.

Reading through Matt's post and seeing the date he was dealing with an older model. The current models allow for dc power to eliminate the battery and have set, preset, and zero, function buttons. The preset button allows you to input any desired number you want and move up or down from there. I set these last night and they seem to be holding. Perhaps I was doing something wrong earlier.