Thread: Universal Laser XLS Platform

Universal Laser XLS Platform

I am in the market for a new CO2 laser and one of the machines I am looking at is a Universal Laser in the XLS platform. From the scouring of these forums I wasn't able to find any or much regarding this model. I was wondering if any members on here have had any experience using this laser and if there is any noticeable differences or pros/cons of the XLS platform versus the PLS and ILS models. Also, after sending materials in for testing it was recommended that I go with a multi wave machine (one being a 10.6μm CO2 and the other being a 9.3μm CO2). Does anyone have any experience and/or input regarding having the ability to have multiple wavelengths depending on materials being processed. Does it truly make a difference on certain materials or is it more of a marketing ploy?

Also, in the past couple of years reading this forum I've noticed that is weighted heavily towards engraving (obviously since the category specifies engraving), but I was wondering if there was also a similar forum where the members have a higher emphasis on cutting (other than wood) rather than engraving.

Is it safe to assume that by the lack of responses on this thread that nobody has any experience using an XLS platform from Universal? I'm also wondering if this thread was inappropriate or in the wrong location and that is the reason people are avoiding this thread like the plague!

Regards,
    Jared

Jared
    That may be the case. I believe there are members who have the Trotec Flexx machine and one member who has a similar Epilog. In his case, he has indicated that he regrets buying a combination unit as I recall.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Jared
    That may be the case. I believe there are members who have the Trotec Flexx machine and one member who has a similar Epilog. In his case, he has indicated that he regrets buying a combination unit as I recall.
    Mike, thanks for the response. When you mention the Trotec Flexx and the Epilog Fusion those are not entirely the same as the Universal I was referring to. Both the Trotec and Epilog dual sources involve Fiber and CO2. While the Universal can have that same option they also have a second wavelength option for CO2 laser cutting. The two CO2 wavelength options are 10.6µm and 9.3µm. To put things into perspective more when I received my test results back from Universal the report showed that there was no significant difference between the 10.6µm and the 9.3µm in cutting a .020" thick 40 duro silicone, but when cutting a .003" thick Mylar the 9.3µm wavelength achieved better cutting results by having a smoother edge quality. So the question I had was whether or not anybody has done their own research/testing regarding the significance of the two different CO2 wavelengths.

Regards,
    Jared

Hi Jared, I can't answer the Multi wavelength question but I can speak to the quality of the platform itself as I own a PLS. The ILS is the Industrial series and has a larger bed size (24"x48") with pass-through doors and is built a bit sturdier than the other models. Universals are good workhorse machines but do not engrave as fast as Epilog or Trotec. The other advantage is that they have the ability to hold two laser tubes so you can effectively double your power or in your case switch between two different wavelength tubes.
    Hope this helps.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Jared

Sorry. I made an incorrect assumption.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Dave Sheldrake gave some explanations in a post awhile back as to different wavelengths for different materials, he mentioned a typical 10.6 C02 isn't the best for mylar, don't remember what he said was optimum but I think the freq was lower. I have a customer who keeps begging me to keep trying to figure out how to cut gaskets out of .001" to .004" thick mylar, and even cutting them underwater the edge would mushroom slightly, which renders the gasket useless. So if a lower freq would help with this, that would be great!

My problem: I've been laser engraving since 2002 and these gaskets are the only such request I've ever had that would require a different laser source. Short version: for me, Not Economically Viable.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle