Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Windows software on Macintosh

Thanks Dee. I think I might give Bootcamp a shot first and see how I go. I'm very familiar with Adobe Creative Suite, but if I need to use CorelDraw, I guess Ill have to do that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I have used a Mac for a decade and started with Parallels, but found it glitchy and clunky (as a MacUser since 1984). So I switched to Bootcamp, it is native and runs smoothly. A lot of people complain about the rebooting thing, but really, waiting a whole 30-60 seconds is not horrible in my opinion compared to fighting with Parallels. But running CorelDraw on my Mac is seamless and then i save to a flash drive I can put into a cheap Dell I have hooked up to my Epilogs, or I send the job wirelessly from the Mac in my living room to the Epilog in my studio. BTW - use ethernet, not USB for your cables unless you want another whole bunch of problems. Good luck!

Trevor,

CorelDraw and PhotoShop each have their uses for engraving - if you can use both, that will be to your benefit. You can do your photo editing in PS and move your jpeg into CD for laser work, adding copy and line art. That's what I do.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Trevor,
    I am a "MAC" Having several CnC machines as well as 2 lasers. I can tell you with certainty "Parallels" does work and is imho the easiest to work with.
    I have done several parallels installs for various friends who have similar dilemmas. even one whos software required a dongle that was keyed. Their tech people said it would not work under any circumstances.... I laughed and proved them wrong.

Running Parallels gives your the opportunity to run both OS simultaneously which imho far outweighs bootcamp. But fwiw Bootcamp would work too.

My vote like many others here is Parallels.
    Best luck!
    -Sam