Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Windows software on Macintosh

Running Windows software on Macintosh

Hello all. I just purchased my new laser and am a Mac guy. Since the laser software will only run on a Windows OS, I need to either purchase a PC laptop, or install software to run windows on my mac. Has anyone here been running job software for their laser on a mac with windows software?
    I will be designing mostly in Adobe Illustrator I think.
    Any issues, or recommendations for which one to go with?
    Virtual Machine, Boot Camp?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't have a laser so I haven't do this exactly.

But as a software developer I have run Windows on my MacBook for development work. You can install Parallels on your Mac and then run Windows in a virtual machine. Parallels is the original virtualization engine for the Mac OS and they are the best in my experience. You could also download VirtualBox which is free and do the same thing. VMWare will work too as will creating a separate partition for dual booting then boot into Windows or OSX depending on your needs.

I would strongly suggest using CorelDraw vs AI. It is a superior engraving program and there is unlimited help available here and online.

I have Corel on my Mac but do not use it to run my laser. I use Parallels.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Check and see if the laser software requires hardware access?

If so, then you'll need to use Boot Camp.

Possible to use an inexpensive PC?

I have only used Parallels and from my experience it served its purpose quite well. It was very convenient to have a functioning Mac with the virtual Windows machine running in the background and having the ability to switch back and forth between the two within a few seconds.

If your laser is a newer model, it may work with Mac versions of Corel Draw and a Mac driver. I have an older Epilog Legend 24TT and it doesn't have a Mac driver. So I have a 32-bit install of Windows 7 running under VMWare Fusion that I use to run my laser. So far I've had no problems at all.

works perfect, boot camp or a virtual prg

Using Parallels & Corel Draw too
    Epilog Zing 16 - 35W
    Epilog Fusion 32 M2 - 75W

I've been running Windows on my MacBook Pro via Bootcamp for years and it's great. I also run Parallels on another MacBook Pro and it served its purpose well too. Though you should expect a slower experience with Parallels, not that it'll impact you much, especially if you're just running the Epilog software.

I used CorelDRAW for years and recently switched to Illustrator and knowing both very well, I can tell you that you should pick the one you're most familiar with. After a few weeks there's nothing I can't do in Illustrator that I need to. I love Adobe and their package is a great deal if you need other things like InDesign or Photoshop (I do, along with video software). Not knocking Corel as I liked it a lot, I just like being able to work in Windows or Mac and constantly go back and fourth (I do this all day switching between OSes).

Best of luck! I love Apple hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bittinger View Post
    Hello all. I just purchased my new laser and am a Mac guy. Since the laser software will only run on a Windows OS, I need to either purchase a PC laptop, or install software to run windows on my mac. Has anyone here been running job software for their laser on a mac with windows software?
    I will be designing mostly in Adobe Illustrator I think.
    Any issues, or recommendations for which one to go with?
    Virtual Machine, Boot Camp?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60W
    Woodinville, Washington U.S.A.

Trevor, it would be helpful to add your machine type to your signature block. The advice for an RF machine vs. a Chinese glass tube one is quite different.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I have one Macbook running Parallels and on running VMWare for windows. VM is much less irritating-- they don't try to sell you an upgrade every two weeks, and the interaction between the MacOS and Windows seems smoother, eg for cutting and pasting between applications on the two platforms.

If your machine is Chinese and runs RDWorks, it might be worth trying LightBurn software a try as a direct replacement to RDWorks as it runs from a Mac as well as a PC.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

I have been using vmware fusion and i love it. I have multiple virtual machines and it has never failed me in the past 10 years.
    Epilog Legend 24TT

I have used a Mac for a decade and started with Parallels, but found it glitchy and clunky (as a MacUser since 1984). So I switched to Bootcamp, it is native and runs smoothly. A lot of people complain about the rebooting thing, but really, waiting a whole 30-60 seconds is not horrible in my opinion compared to fighting with Parallels. But running CorelDraw on my Mac is seamless and then i save to a flash drive I can put into a cheap Dell I have hooked up to my Epilogs, or I send the job wirelessly from the Mac in my living room to the Epilog in my studio. BTW - use ethernet, not USB for your cables unless you want another whole bunch of problems. Good luck!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks John! I'm also running an Epilog Mini 24, 40 watt.