Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory and Aging

You are not alone, for sure. "Remembering names" issues actually runs in my family on my father's side and for me it's always been somewhat of an issue; more-so in the last decade as I approached the almost 61 I am now. It was sometimes mildly embarrassing, given my work prior to retirement was in sales. What I do to try and combat it is a combination of mental repetition (when I remember to do so) and also using "things" or "situations" to help associate a name with a face. I know faces and even recognize them from many years ago, but can't always place a name, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I could never remember names my whole life. If I need to know a name from the past, I can still call my Mom and ask. She remembers everyone she ever met, who their children were, where they live, what they did. Her mind still works that way, and she will be 102 in April.

I can still name everyone of my elementary school teachers, and scores of other people I knew or met that far back (...fifty+ years ago!!). But there are a few memory drops here and there, and more recently (I'm 57 in April) I can forget a name almost as quickly as it's told to me. But short-term memory issues aren't always an issue, it only comes up occasionally but, oddly enough, mostly with peoples names. LOML and I have a running joke...well, actually it's a joke to her. I'll often just associate the name Dave or Steve for guys whose actual names I can't recall. Names for gals can come from any number of unknown recesses of my cobwebbed memories, but most often I just draw a blank. My usual work-around for this is to ask the person for confirmation on the pronunciation, if their name sounds or looks different than say...Dave or Steve. Add a brief background story based on the related conversation or a memory of what they were doing or wearing, and I usually do well to remember later on.

In addition to advancing decrepitude (i.e., the natural aging process), sleep deprivation can contribute significantly to problems with short term memory. I've had sleep irregularities since before my Navy days, but my time in submarines certainly didn't help--working in 3 6-hour shifts (basically 18-hour days) for up to 3 months at a time. After finishing a shift sometimes you got to get some sleep, depending on the actual time and the day's activities, and sometimes you didn't. I carried this on after leaving the Navy, working a job, going to night school, helping to raise two daughters, and then remodeling a house all on an average of 3-5 hours of sleep a night. I do much better now though, but it's still a wonder sometimes that I remember anything. Anyone want to discuss passwords?

If you don't care what their names are you have the luxury of not having to remember and not worrying about it.

Blog Entries
    See your doctor. There are medications to help with this. I am serious.

I doubt that I am different than others here. Impromptu introductions are fleeting. Reading the names in an email or other document helps. On the other hand, I'm 81 and remember teachers names back to the third grade.

Repetition helps and ultimately solves the issue for me.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It has been my experience that it isn't age related. Even as a youngster, I had a hard time remembering names. Then we made the mistake of naming one of our sons Mark and the other one, Mike. I've angered both of them accidentally by calling them or referring to them by the wrong name.
    I can relate to most of the comments here. Names have always eluded me, but I can usually remember facts. Chemistry was always hard for me because it seemed like just a bunch of memorization of random numbers. Physics was easy because I could understand why it worked. Then I would just re-calculate the formulas instead of remembering them.

I often remember the length of a name and maybe what it rhymes with. Mark and Mike are basically the same to me. I would have gone crazy if my kids had those names. Luckily, we have a boy and a girl with different sounding names.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Leistner View Post
    I don't think it is always age related when one can't remember names. I've never been good at it from the time I was a teen. At that time I had a job pumping gas. I could remember every regular customers plate number, but couldn't always remember their names.
    At almost 69, I have to ask my wife who someone is. Then I'll still forget it 5 minutes later. She remembers names of people we haven't seen for decades.
    It takes me a while to remember someones name, unless she makes a great impression on me.
    I didn't have trouble until my 20s. It's been downhill since then.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I'm 71. Or 72, I forget.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Just going somewhere can help memory. At home your "defenses are down". That's why bears never hibernate at the mall

I'm 69 and my memory sucks, absolutely CRS. Remembering someone's name is the least of my issues. I spent most of yesterday trying to remember what techniques I used on a commission from less than 3 years ago to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I'm 69 and my memory sucks, absolutely CRS. Remembering someone's name is the least of my issues. I spent most of yesterday trying to remember what techniques I used on a commission from less than 3 years ago to no avail.
    I'm in the same boat. I've started taking pictures for "project notes" for projects that I think I might need the data for. I write notes on the wood so the notes will be in the pictures, then sand them off. Of course, I don't do that for everything I do and there's always something that I didn't document.

And I have a terrible time remembering names.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think sometimes a bit of adrenalin accompanys a great idea and fools us into believing we couldn't possibly forget it.

the other part is going up or down the stairs to get something and when you get there, what did I come for. then you go back to where you were to remember what it was. your mind can get sidetracked.
    ron

Happens to me too and I’m 46!!! I think. I can’t remember.

The trick is to take your wife everywhere and have a signal between you such that when one of you see someone you know but can’t remember the name of, you signal, and the spouse jumps in and introduces themself first before you have to speak.

Works like a charm at weddings.