Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory and Aging

Memory and Aging

I'm 66 years old. The older I get the more I've had trouble remembering names. I'm an introvert but very good at remembering odd details about making things or designing things. Not so good at people related memory.

Today I have to meet with some important people in my community. The company they run has been really good to me and given me free products. I've had many talks with 4 key people there. Last summer I was invited to teach a group of their customers and it went well.

Today I had to look up the names of the 4 key people to remember them! I'd hate to walk in and say remember last year when "what's his name said---"

My wife is 64 and a people person. She rarely forgets a name.

Can any of my woodworking buddies here relate? Any tips?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I can relate, I've always struggled with remembering names. I'm 68 and I remember meeting a girl at a dance when I was in my 20's and half way thru the dance I forgot her name. When I told her she punched me on the arm and repeated her name. I remembered it all that night but today I can't recall what it was.

I don't think it is always age related when one can't remember names. I've never been good at it from the time I was a teen. At that time I had a job pumping gas. I could remember every regular customers plate number, but couldn't always remember their names.

With me, it is not age related. I am 75, and even called my kids by the wrong names when they were little. They used to laugh at me, and now their kids laugh at me too. Nothing has changed.

On the other hand, I am a trivia king. I have no trouble remembering useless info that I don't even care about. The one thing that really annoys me, is that I can come up with the names of character actors in really old movies. Go figure.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    With me, it is not age related. I am 75, and even called my kids by the wrong names when they were little. They used to laugh at me, and now their kids laugh at me too. Nothing has changed.

On the other hand, I am a trivia king. I have no trouble remembering useless info that I don't even care about. The one thing that really annoys me, is that I can come up with the names of character actors in really old movies. Go figure.
    I think you are describing me; complete with age!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It has been my experience that it isn't age related. Even as a youngster, I had a hard time remembering names. Then we made the mistake of naming one of our sons Mark and the other one, Mike. I've angered both of them accidentally by calling them or referring to them by the wrong name.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    There was a recent study about a correlation between eating leafy dark green vegetables and a better memory.

My memory of people's names has also always been poor. It take some work.

It couldn't hurt.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's nice to know I'm not alone!
    Good to hear it isn't age related for all who posted. I can't remember if I was always bad at names

Seriously I do think that I never excelled at remembering names, but I do think I've gotten a little worse.

Does anyone else think it's an introvert vs extrovert trait? Do you know obvious extroverts your age that don't have the problem as much?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I have always had problems with names but can remember trivia stuff.

Add me to the group. I am 71 and when younger I had a hard time remembering names but am better now.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm 57 and have had problems the last 10 or so years remembering names. Some of mine was due to medication I was taking. Weaned myself off the stuff, (was for neuropathy), when I found out how it worked. This particular drug did not kill the pain, only makes your mind think there is no pain. Dangerous stuff that has terrible side effects. Now that I'm off it, I still have some trouble remembering names but not as bad.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

With the exception of the "I am 75" comment, this describes me exactly. I'll pass people in the hall that I've worked with for 20 years, have a conversation, but cannot recall their name. I have to ask coworkers... if I can recall THEIR names. Ditto on the trivia. Mindless data, stats and info, but can't recall the name of people I meet.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I don't think it is related to introvert or extrovert, more likely a bit of laziness (and I include myself). There are methods you can use to improve your ability to remember names, unfortunately many of us don't try hard enough.

The way I understand it, there is a certain chemical produced naturally that makes your synapses fire. The memory center of your brain is particularity sensitive to this. With natural aging the production of that chemical is reduced. In certain cases, ie Alzheimer's and to a lesser degree, Parkinson's, this reduction creates bigger problems. For Parkinson's you can take a drug supplement to boost your bodies production of that chemical and your memory recall will improve as well as motor functions and other senses.

Blog Entries
    I've had the same problem, but it helps if you repeat their name back to them to insure you've pronounced it correctly and it will help you remember it. You should also write down the names as soon as you can, particularly if you are in a meeting. Draw a diagram of the where everyone is sitting and write the names in the locations as you are seeing the room. I can remember numbers for weeks, but names vanish from my memory in seconds.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute