Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i round the corners on a tabletop to be consistent?

How do i round the corners on a tabletop to be consistent?

I made a children's table-rectangle in shape... i want to round the corners a lil bit and have them all look the same. a quick internet search brings up the woodpecker radius jigs.. I have tried the paint can in the past, but never get 4 corners that look the same.

Suggestions please....

The jig from Woodpecker is an option but there are less expensive jigs to do that.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Do you have a router? Do you have or can you get a top or bottom bearing pattern following bit?

If you have seen the woodpecker or rockler jigs and don't want to spend the cash, then make your own of the one size you need. With a single jig/template all four corner will look the same.

The rockler jig is more of a kit http://www.rockler.com/rockler-corne...ting-templates. But if you only need one size it is enough to make it as a single piece.

I do have a router.. and router table..however the darn table is already assembled the rounded corner was an afterthought after quality control inspector (mom) got a look at things lol i just have to figure how to keep the cover the same distance away...

There are some tasks that are just so much easier using hand tools. Plus you do not need to dissemble anything.

Mark the rounded corner with a template (can and pencil), use a jigsaw to cut close to the line, and then use a rasp to the line. Smooth this with a file and blocked sandpaper.

With a little care, you will finish on the line with a constant curve. Do not obsess about whether the sides are perfectly vertical - this is invisible to the eye.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I would suggest a wood rasp and sandpaper to dress up the corners.

Make a pattern out of 1/2" plywood and use a pattern following router bit. Using a saber saw, cut to just outside the pattern prior to routing. So easy.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Just clamp a pattern on to a given corner and use your regular router to make the cut with a pattern bit. I suggest you knock most of the material off outside the line prior with your bandsaw or a jigsaw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Instead of rounding the corners over, take a square, draw a 45 degree line say 1" from the corner, cut the corner off with a circular or jig saw, then sand smooth? Quick and easy to do

You could draw your radius, cut close to the line and use a sanding pad, rasp, file, or a spokeshave to finesse it to where you want it. That might get you the best results.

I wouldn’t bother with a router. Draw your radius on each corner. Then use a straight handsaw and cut of the corners and then again. Finally, use a sanding block to sand to the line. I Have done this multiple times and it works fast and well.

Nobody can tell.

You said round off a little bit, I assume this means an inch or less radius just for safety.

Here's a jig I bought for $20 that works pretty well - https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_jigs_radius_templates.htm

David, Take a straight 1x3 or similar piece of wood about 15 inches long and hold it up against the edge of the table top on the end where the radius is going. Then put the can on table top and push it up against the board you re holding. Do this to both sides of the table top to get the can right on edge with the table top or tangent. Then draw your radius. Do same on all 4 corners.

However you do it, just DO IT!

My children are grown now, but when one was little he fell and caught the corner of the kitchen table. It missed his eye by less than an inch. I immediately got out the jig saw and cut that corner off!

Use a pattern bit (one that has the bearing on top). Make a template that you like, clamp it down onto the table and follow that template. All 4 will look the same.

When making the template, mark the radius on a corner and take your time cutting the template out leaving the pencil mark and then some. Then sand to the line with a sander.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I agree with Jim Becker. Take a piece of wood and make a jig. Clamp the jig to a corner and use a pattern bit to round the corner. Using the same jig, repeat for each corner.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-26-2018 at 6:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....