Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Scene double gates

Mountain Scene double gates

Hi
    I thought I’d share with you a hand plasma cut and plannished double gate I did for a client a few years ago. The frame was made by Neil Tait and the letters were cut by a friend Murray that has a CNC. But the scene was done by me.

I created templates to lay on the steel to cut to size from my drawings that I had done to scale. Then the sections of the scene are all hand plasma cut with a ( Chinese Cut 50 ) and from 16ga ( 1.2mm cold rolled ) plate.
    Then the plannishing begins! A whole lot of hammering! I used a assortment of hammers and gum tree stump that I cut grooves and recesses into create the shape I was after.
    Then all the pieces are 2 pac primered and painted then welded together ( Lincoln Pro Mig 175 ) . Then all the welded areas are repainted. It was discussed with the client about powder coating or dipping to seal the gates but it was decided to paint and any rust stains would compliment the scene. Also there’s a pic of the pedestrian gate in the same theme that I also did for the client.

Thanks for looking. Regards Richard Yates

r_yates_2.jpg r_yates_3.jpg
    r_yates_4.jpg r_yates_5.jpg
    r_yates_6.jpg r_yates_7.jpg r_yates_8.jpg
    r_yates_9.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-25-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: photos

Absolutely beautiful Richard. I can't even imagine doing something like that. Thankyou for posting the pictures.

Beautiful work Richard. I do some metal work myself but I'm not anywhere near your level of craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Even though the gates are clearly labeled ,it's kind of jarring to see them ajar...and watch the in the round sculptures turn
    into flat gates....that's when I knew they were done by Yates....

Incredibly beautiful Richard!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Outstanding!
    Did you heat any areas with a torch when they work hardened to allow more shaping?

Michael, Keith and Ken. Thank you. I really appreciate your kind words.

Mel, Well. That is a awesome poem! That’s the first time I’ve ever been mentioned in a poem before! ( That I know of. ) My wife Karen loved it. She said yeah....The Yates Gates poem! We’re going to use that now if you don’t mind.

Peter, I actually never used heat in the plannishing process. In hind sight it would have gone faster and most certainly would have been much easier on my bod if I had done that. My hands and arms were killing me for the first couple of weeks. I used some insulated gloves to help absorb some of the shock. Though it certainly was a great upper body work out!

if I had used heat I could have even used a thicker steel plate. ( but the gates were going to be heavy enough as is and the thicker steel wasn’t really warranted.)
    If I would have had to go back over any parts that had already been plannished I would have needed to heat them as the shaped plates structural integrity sure wouldn’t have allowed much changing without heat.
    But I was mostly happy with how the process was going so I left it as is.

Thanks again guys!
    Regards Richard

Richard, it's one of those Shakespeare lines that the directors always cut.....I'm pretty sure he would love to see it get some use!!

Blog Entries
    I'm in awe

Stunning! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful work, and inquiring minds... how did you make the edges on those leafs and such non sharp?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi guys. Thank you for the kind words gentleman.

Hi Bill. On the sharp / ragged edges. With me using a hand held plasma cutter I have a lot of Dross/ slag to deal with. So I use a angle grinder with a 120 grit flap wheel at a angle on the edge grinding away from the sheet at all times. ( grinding toward the steel would want to catch and cut that flapper into 11,000rpm shrapnel!)
    I do both sides of all the pieces, always feeling it with my gloved hand to feel for and sharpness. Labor intensive and not perfect but it’s effective.

regards Richard

Another beautiful creation Sir!

Wood sculpting. Metal shaping. Your talents amaze me Richard,
    They got any big blocks of Granite down there in Oz? I'm thinking it's time for you to create an Australian David or Pieta. (And I can't wait to see it!)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-30-2018 at 6:41 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

People who are Not metalworkers do not realize the amount of time you spent on that. I would price it out at $10,000 USD.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    People who are Not metalworkers do not realize the amount of time you spent on that. I would price it out at $10,000 USD.
    That might be low!

JKJ