Thread: Simple sawstop question - miter

Simple sawstop question - miter

If I want to tilt the blade to 45 degrees do I need a different insert than the stock one?
    Bob C

No, you do not. I have done this plenty of times. You might want to rotate the blade by hand after tilting, just to make sure that nothing is odd about yours.

Blog Entries
    If it is a zero clearance type then yes you definitely do need to a different insert. If there is 1/4" or more clearance on each side of the blade then you probably don't. I do not know what comes standard with a sawstop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Unless things have changed, the stock insert is not zero clearance.

I do bevels all the time and the stock ZCI is fine but I have made a bevel crosscut sled as part of my box making which does give me zero clearance. The stock insert works well for bevel rips.IMG_20180109_122553.jpg
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 01-24-2018 at 11:51 PM.

hmmm...well the reason i asked is because i angled the blade to 45 and the blade felt like it was just barely rubbing. Fine, i'll let the blade trim the insert but it wouldn't power up. So i looked and the red light was on -- sorry i should have paid more attention and noticed the pattern but maybe red on, green blinking. so i straightened the blade up and all green at which point i did a quick post here from my iphone.

i can experiment a little more tomorrow to see what triggers the failure condition. I can also shoot you a picture of the insert.

The saw is an ICS
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Unless things have changed, the stock insert is not zero clearance.
    I got a SawStop contractor saw last year and the insert was a zci.

Well...never mind. I just went back out to the shop and watched the led as I tilted the blade and all worked fine

Lol. Well I think I figured it out. It errored out when I put my tilt box on the blade to check it for 45. So this time I turned to saw off, got the blade to the right angle and turn it on. No issues. Helps to look at the manual to decipher the error codes.