Thread: Heavy duty adjustable height locking casters

Heavy duty adjustable height locking casters

I have finally decided that I need to be able to move my heavy duty [about 300 lbs total weight] workbench around in my rather compact shop. I am looking for info on adjustable height locking casters. I need to be able to adjust the height since my floor is not absolutely uniformly level. I will not be moving the bench very often so ease of using the casters is not critical. Any advice/suggestions?

I built a couple of work tables and used step down casters and adjustable feet. However, I overloaded them apparently and eventually the step down casters quit working very well. They are rated for 400 lbs per set. I really don't know what I had on them, but they're 4'x8' tables with storage underneath and it wouldn't surprise me if they were over 400 lbs.

I think it's Woodcraft that sells another type of caster that's heavy duty and you screw down a leveling foot. I don't remember what they're called though.

Like Ted, I just put step down casters on my bench to make it mobile, but I want the bench legs on the floor when actually using it. These are what I bought:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

benchcasters.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Those are the same ones I wore out. They'd probably be fine under a proper load, I just expected too much out of them and tended to leave them on the wheels about half the time.

Here's the other ones I was thinking of. https://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Machine-Leveling-Caster-Mounted/dp/B0039ZIPL4/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516851013&sr=1-4&keywords=machine+caster

It looks like they only lift off the wheel about 1/2" so I don't know how much "leveling" you can do with them.
    Last edited by Ted Derryberry; 01-24-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Ted, the leveling casters are really, really nice things, especially in their HD forms...but quite pricy. And yes, very limited leveling. My bench in it's "normal" orientation requires almost 1/2" on one end due to the slope of my shop floor. I'm not so much worried about wearing out the ones I bought as they will likely only get used a few times a year when some project or another requires additional space. I only added them because the CNC will take up a big chunk of space and it's not going to move around...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    I need to be able to adjust the height since my floor is not absolutely uniformly level.
    How about only using the castors to move the bench. Once in the spot, and let down on the benches leg / feet, use a small wedge on one of the legs.

A wedge is very easy to use, rock steady and a heavy duty solution. (inexpensive too)
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 01-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I made these for a 3/4 ton edge sander several years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a set of the Wood River Machine Leveling Casters. Will see how well they work.