Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Fit Tool Storage

French Fit Tool Storage

Hey folk,

I am am planning to make some trays and small boxes that are “French Fit” for tool and instrument storage. I am wondering if there are woods to avoid or are preferred. Also, should I apply a finish?

My concern is to avoid rust/moisture damage.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thx
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    I would apply a finish for moisture protection and wear resistance. Apply finish to both sides after making the cutouts to reduce the chance of warping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Moisture absorption is a real problem with enclosed wood containers that have unfinished steel or cast iron lying flat against them. Either finish them with something that prevents moisture absorption or coat the wood with a non drying oil. Not sure which is best but I made my son a box for some vintage hand planes from red cedar and they were great for a while, but one day the planes came out with a solid coat of rust where they touched the wood. I guess the humidity shot up and then it got placed where it couldn't dry out..
    Dan

Bill, I wouldn't use wood at all.

At work we use a foam that's built for this application, you should be able to buy it on line......Rod.

I used "Kaizen Foam" from Fastcap and recently fitted many tool cabinet drawers and tool cases. Easy to work with and I should have organized this way years ago. No moisture problems.
    IMG_1990e.jpgIMG_1982e.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-25-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I used "Kaizen Foam" from Fastcap and recently fitted many tool cabinet drawers and tool cases. Easy to work with and I should have organized this way years ago. No moisture problems.
    I do the same thing. I order the foam from Woodcraft. Works well for me.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The foam is a great idea. Does it have any rust prevention properties? Do you cut it with a knife or router? Or perhaps a cnc?

Any idea about longevity, I recently opened a drafting set from college that was put away for like 40 years, the foam was dust.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    The foam is a great idea. Does it have any rust prevention properties? Do you cut it with a knife or router? Or perhaps a cnc?

I recently opened a drafting set from college that was put away for like 40 years, the foam was dust.
    The foam has been around for years, however I don't know if it lasts forever, although certainly seems like it should. Cuts easily with home center razor knives and is easy to form finger depressions with a soldering iron. I found that Fast Cap didn't charge for shipping this bulky material for orders of $100, so I went for it. Several thicknesses available and I used some of each.

I also used it to line a few systainers and tool boxes.

Funny about the drafting set...........here are a few of my left overs from the mid 70's...............but they still work great. Now where did I put that Steatdler pencil and erasure shield?
    IMG_1988e.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-25-2018 at 9:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Dick Mahany.

Dick, interestingly, not two days ago, I just resurrected my drafting stuff from the same mid-70s from a box of art supplies from the same era. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just went and looked at the Kaizen Form at FastCap, looks like a great solution!
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Ah, now I understand "French fit". The drawer is France. The tools invade like the Germans and entrench themselves. Then won't leave until an American takes them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Ah, now I understand "French fit". The drawer is France. The tools invade like the Germans and entrench themselves. Then won't leave until an American takes them out.
    THAT was pretty clever Martin!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Funny about the drafting set...........here are a few of my left overs from the mid 70's...............but they still work great. Now where did I put that Steatdler pencil and erasure shield?
    IMG_1988e.jpg
    HaHa, that's great, don't forget that big round heavy drafting pencil sharpener................I have all that stuff as well as the pens for inking drawings.............Regards, Rod.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    HaHa, that's great, don't forget that big round heavy drafting pencil sharpener................I have all that stuff as well as the pens for inking drawings.............Regards, Rod.
    Ha, reading/writing this while looking at the sharpener sitting on my desk!!! Have a great day to all and thanks for the suggestion about foam...
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by martin wasner View Post
    ah, now i understand "french fit". The drawer is france. The tools invade like the germans and entrench themselves. Then won't leave until an american takes them out.
    roflol!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...