Thread: Today was a day I was thankful for my adjustable height bench...

Today was a day I was thankful for my adjustable height bench...

Today was a day I was thankful for my adjustable height bench...I needed to mortise for some flush mount handles on the lids of these custom tack trunks and the lowest setting on the Noden Adjust-A-Bench was just perfect for being able to clearly see and work though things standing completely upright. That includes both the router work with an OF-1010 and 1/4" straight bit and the chisel to clean things up. It took more time to create the setup/layout jigs than it did to do the actual mortises. But if I ever use these again, I have the jig on the wall. Of course, I had to sit at the low chair seen in the background of the first photo to be able to do the jig layout without kneeling on the floor and it felt like I was at the kiddie table. LOL

IMG_0092.jpg IMG_0093.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I was looking at the Noden adjust a bench awhile back, how do you like it overall? Obviously came in handy for this project. Is this the only more traditional type bench in your shop?

Nice. I could use that about now because I'm building an entertainment center that is 48" tall. Right now I'm using a step stool. If I ever build a new workbench, I plan to use those legs. How do you like them overall? Are they stable and rack-free at any setting?

Bryan, I've been "more than totally satisfied" with the Noden bench in almost every way. You can use whatever format or design of actual bench on the system you prefer and it's very study and steady. No rocking, etc. Geoff really makes a quality product. You should actually go visit his shop in Trenton to both see the bench and to meet a real craftsman. I did that and actually picked mine up to avoid shipping. A friend went with me and ordered his own on the spot.

Oh, and yes, this is my "traditional" bench. I recently made it mobile as I'm adding a CNC to the shop and will need to be more creative with space when it comes to finishing as this bench will normally live in "the spot" where I normally do finishing. It's supplemented by an MFT and some temporary surfaces when need be.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    Nice. I could use that about now because I'm building an entertainment center that is 48" tall. Right now I'm using a step stool. If I ever build a new workbench, I plan to use those legs. How do you like them overall? Are they stable and rack-free at any setting?
    Yes, completely stable. The system is designed and built "like a tank" out of heavy steel.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, completely stable. The system is designed and built "like a tank" out of heavy steel.

Yes. I saw them at the woodworking shows. I was impressed with the beef of the steel and overall quality. Maybe one day...

Thanks Jim.

Nice job fitting the hardware. One of the most thrilling and nerve racking parts if a build. After all the hours measuring and cutting clamping then finishing. It takes some real guts and confidence to go back and cut into a finished surface with a sharp piece of carbide. Hats off looks great.
    Aj

Glad to hear you enjoy it. I’m fairly new to the hobby and working to build my shop out over the next year. One of the first things I bought was an adjustable bench. I liked it so much that a month later I ordered a second one, about half the size. Incredibly useful.