Thread: Thomas Jefferson's revolving bookstand

split between El Paso TX and Swan Valley Idaho

Thomas Jefferson's revolving bookstand

Probably old news

Does anyone know how T J,s revolving bookstand was allowed to rotate?ie mechanism instead of a lazy susan.

"This revolving stand, once thought to be a music stand, was probably made to Jefferson's design and specifications in the joinery. As many as five books or letters could be placed on it at a time. Jefferson may have conveniently placed it next to his chair in his reading-and-writing arrangement in the Cabinet. It is one of three known "revolving" works made in the joinery; the other two are tables.

"Constructed of solid walnut, the cube-shaped stand has five adjustable rests for holding books or letters; it has one rest on the top and one on each of the four sides. The rests can be folded down to form a cube. A central pole enables the bookstand to rotate at the bottom. A hole in the bottom suggests the possibility that the bookstand originally was supported by a tripod base."

Source : The Jefferson Monticello

Blog Entries
    Here's a video with plans Jefferson revolving book stand though the plans show a lazy susan bearing which I doubt that Jefferson had. Here's a link to the plans. Book stand plans
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They may have had lazy susan bearings, just made of real hard wood like Lignum Vitae. It was used for many other things where it had to be something very durable, and able to be lubricated, as it was used for bushings a lot back in the day. And I mean back when they had wooden ships and iron men...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Viellenave View Post
    They may have had lazy susan bearings, just made of real hard wood like Lignum Vitae. It was used for many other things where it had to be something very durable, and able to be lubricated, as it was used for bushings a lot back in the day. And I mean back when they had wooden ships and iron men...
    Even when the went to iron ships they used Lignum Vitae as the bearings for the propeller shafts supports that were out side of the hull. I just ound this reference regarding rotating hardware.

The Origin of the Turntable Bearing in the Lazy Susan

"Lazy Susan made its first appearance in an advertisement in Vanity Fair for a 'Revolving Server' or 'Lazy Susan' back in 1917. The turntable device itself predates the name 'lazy Susan'. These revolving serving trays, mounted on turntable bearings have been around since the 1700s, where they were often tiered and called 'dumbwaiters'. Dumbwaiters were so called because they quietly took the place of waiters in the dining room. The modern reference to a dumbwaiter is now a small elevator used to carry food and dishes from one level in a building to another."
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here's a video with plans Jefferson revolving book stand though the plans show a lazy susan bearing which I doubt that Jefferson had. Here's a link to the plans. Book stand plans
    Lee, your link doesn't bring anything up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Even when the went to iron ships they used Lignum Vitae as the bearings for the propeller shafts supports that were out side of the hull. I just ound this reference regarding rotating hardware.

The Origin of the Turntable Bearing in the Lazy Susan

"Lazy Susan made its first appearance in an advertisement in Vanity Fair for a 'Revolving Server' or 'Lazy Susan' back in 1917. The turntable device itself predates the name 'lazy Susan'. These revolving serving trays, mounted on turntable bearings have been around since the 1700s, where they were often tiered and called 'dumbwaiters'. Dumbwaiters were so called because they quietly took the place of waiters in the dining room. The modern reference to a dumbwaiter is now a small elevator used to carry food and dishes from one level in a building to another."
    You may be interested to know that this power plane is still operating on some of the original turbine bearing made out of Lignum Vitae for over 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...dropower_Plant

Its a beautiful building, I hope to catch the open house this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Lee, your link doesn't bring anything up for me.
    try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SD_jlH7Ez8

here are the plans: http://www.davidcolarusso.com/handou..._bookstand.pdf
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-25-2018 at 7:19 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Very likely Jefferson's book stand was also lubricated with a bit of tallow smeared on the top and bottom of the washer that separates the base from the bottom of the box.

It doesn't look to me like the bottom of the box even touches the base. I think it bears entirely on the top of the dowel which, almost certainly, must have been lubricated. The end of the dowel may have even been fashioned to a point which may fit into a conical countersink.

There is another form of dumb waiter ,a small rolling rounded or squarish table with a shelf or two. Relevant here since Jefferson had some of his own design. There is an 18th century print, The Exquisite Dinner,which shows them in use for reasons of privacy from servants.

These revolving serving trays, mounted on turntable bearings have been around since the 1700s, where they were often tiered and called 'dumbwaiters'. Dumbwaiters were so called because they quietly took the place of waiters in the dining room. The modern reference to a dumbwaiter is now a small elevator used to carry food and dishes from one level in a building to another."
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-25-2018 at 11:30 AM.

I made plans based on the original some years ago.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-26-2018 at 9:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-25-2018 at 8:04 PM.