Thread: Any thoughts on DIY thickness sanders?

Any thoughts on DIY thickness sanders?

Hey guys,

I want to build more guitars.
    Previously, I'd buy prethicknessed wood from suppliers at a premium, but have found that I can get significantly better wood if I thickness it myself.
    I'd tried using a Wagner safety planer (on my non-optimized drill press), and am thinking of building/buying a drum sander.

Have you guys built one? I'm looking at Pat Hawley's plan on woodgears, as well as the four plans on the GAL book.

Would you recommend that I just save up for a Performax/Jet 32-16 sander instead?
    Do you have a design that you like?

I don't have a ton of money, but have even less time.

Fine Woodworking magazine had a book entitled 'Making and Modifying Machines' many years ago with an article on building your own thickness sander. You would have to have some engineering background to pull it off but it is possible. I would just go with one of the available thickness sanding machines. Performax has some nice offerings; I had the 16-32 at one time but sold it to get the 25 inch dual drum sanding machine from Woodworkers Supply Company. Check Woodcraft for some nice offerings. Ready to roll out of the box

Stumpy Nubs has a shop built drum sander that is available on his website. He built his and I watched the video on it and he revised and tweaked it. Pretty nie system and a whole lot less expensive than the commercial models.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

There have been a number of articles on building thickness sanders since I started reading woodworking magazines in the late 70's. Search for "home made drum thickness sanders" or similar and see how many come up. You can get drum kits from Stockroom Supply in 12",18" and 24" widths if you don't want to build those parts. The simplest is to make a drum that fits a lathe and a sheet of plywood under that can be adjusted. You can make multiple drums and have several grits attached.

Blog Entries
    I built the FWW unit way back three decades ago when it first came out. Yeah, mid 80s. didn't work well at all.
    I've a 16-32 that I purchased second hand a few years ago. Works great, save up your $ and buy one!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Susan Gardener built one for her guitar builds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0cFScfDcRs

It takes a meticulous and highly skilled woodworker to make a thickness sander that approaches the accuracy of a commercial unit. It might be a fun project though, if you are up to it.

William Cumpiano uses a shop built wide belt sander for thicknessing guitar parts. I’ve seen it in action and it works very well. Most of the frame is made of wood.

I built one... My own design tho. It's not rocket science. Actually easy and very accurate. No surprises. I use it for guitar parts.

go ahead an build one.

clint

Bill's shop used to be an eighth of a mile down the street from my house.

11. I built one some years ago, but after using it a while I bought a Jet thickness sander. I decided it was enough better to be worth the cost. I don't think I could make one that was as good as the Jet and I definitely couldn't do it cheaper than a commercially made one if I were to include my labor in the cost.

If you just like doing it yourself or have way more time than money, building one may be a more attractive proposition. Otherwise I recommend just buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Stumpy Nubs has a shop built drum sander that is available on his website.
    I've also watched his videos & like his two stage drum sander design with the sand-flee style top.
    One of these days I may get his plan for it & give it a try.

Doug

My main advice here is:
    what is your hobby/interest in? Making guitars or making machines? There is nothing wrong with making machines - in fact it is a ton of fun and challenging as well..... But every hour you spend making machines and tooling - you are not building guitars.

Yes - several people build their own instead of buying.... Many report they work well enough.

I bought a Jet 22-44 for my guitars. Worth every penny.. It's probably the most often used large power tool in my shop.

Do not neglect a good dust collector. These will eat belts and burn like crazy if you don't have sufficient dust collection oj them...