Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking the shop / Letting go of my table saw?

You'll take my table saw when you pry it from my cold dead hands. I use it on every project. YMMV.

get a real t/s

If I had to make the either/or choice I would give up my tablesaw before my bandsaw. They are both important to me but I'd score it 52-48 for how I work.

Blog Entries
    I’ve worked without a table saw for 10 years, but they are handy. I’d use a good sliding table saw without hesitation.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

What you propose is absolutely doable, but it may require rewiring how you think about how to do certain things, replacing some processes with different ones and sometimes being creative. Increasing one's skills with certain non-powered hand tools will also help with the adjustment. I don't miss the cabinet saw I sold one bit, but backing up Brian's comments, my slider has opened up a whole 'nuther level of precise capability inherent in the machine. If I ever downsized, I might give up the long slider wagon, but I'd still want a sliding saw in my shop. That said, I "could" do most of what I currently do with my track saw (Festool), routers, band saw and J/P if need be. That all said, moving to the slider did require me to re-think and re-train my mind around how to do things and again, what you propose will require the same level of change. But you're already part-way there since it sounds like you keep that less-than-satisfying table saw parked most of the time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think many folks replying here do not know what the 4100 bosch is. A bunch of plastics and sintered metal. Its nice for a jobsite saw. That thing is designed to rough cut osb out of the back of a pickup. Its also designed to roll away on a gravity rise stand. $500 new typically or less. So, roll it away and try working without it. Roll it out when you need it. A chopsaw and stand may be worth more than the 4100.

This question comes up periodically, and responses above are typical.

If you want to give this a go, I think you can just unplug your table saw for now and work with the tools you have on hand and see whether it suits you. In particular, I think that you *don't* need to upgrade your bandsaw to evaluate the workflow.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rector View Post
    Let me be the first to agree with both of you. Contemplating this is really odd because I completely agree, the table saw is the heart of a wood shop, but I'm wondering if it doesn't have to be
    Michael, it doesn't have to be, many of us are just familiar with doing it that way.

If I bought a track saw I could live without the table saw. My problem is that I have a sliding saw/shaper and once you go that route you're hooked........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What you propose is absolutely doable, but it may require rewiring how you think about how to do certain things, replacing some processes with different ones and sometimes being creative. Increasing one's skills with certain non-powered hand tools will also help with the adjustment. I don't miss the cabinet saw I sold one bit, but backing up Brian's comments, my slider has opened up a whole 'nuther level of precise capability inherent in the machine. If I ever downsized, I might give up the long slider wagon, but I'd still want a sliding saw in my shop. That said, I "could" do most of what I currently do with my track saw (Festool), routers, band saw and J/P if need be. That all said, moving to the slider did require me to re-think and re-train my mind around how to do things and again, what you propose will require the same level of change. But you're already part-way there since it sounds like you keep that less-than-satisfying table saw parked most of the time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    This question comes up periodically, and responses above are typical.

If you want to give this a go, I think you can just unplug your table saw for now and work with the tools you have on hand and see whether it suits you. In particular, I think that you *don't* need to upgrade your bandsaw to evaluate the workflow.

Matt
    In an ideal world I would have a 2000+ sqft shop with a table saw of my choice and all the bells and whistles. More than anything I'm trying to think through what processes might be lacking if I don't have one.

I think I have a process in mind for most of the tasks I regularly do and I think they may be a bit more effort intensive, but since this is really a hobby shop and not a efficiency vs money shop and I enjoy the process as much as the finished work I'm not upset by that.

Both of your responses are encouraging, or at the very least "try it, see how you feel about it and go from there". With the stuff I do, I haven't heard anything that I'm not going to be able to do. So as stated, the table saw will move to the side and I'll try the next few projects with what I have. I also agree that the 14bx bandsaw is a good saw, but if things work out this way I'd still love to have a bit more room on the table possibly with extensions like a FB510 to help support longer rips and the like.

It's going to be a fun process either way, and I look forward to seeing how things change and what mistakes I'm going to make!

There are a number of threads here on this topic. Personally I stopped using my table saw a couple years ago and don't miss it one bit. Unlike most I have a panel saw if that makes a difference to anyone but it is just an upgrade to a track saw. The reason I have not missed using my table saw is because I bought a Felder FB610 band saw.

Michael, I built a table extension for my band saw not long ago...and I really, really, REALLY wish I would have done it years sooner!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are many ways to cut wood. Judging by the replies, a table saw is the preference for most people.

I think I could live without it. I have a nice 18" bandsaw that I use a lot more than the tablesaw. Maybe it is because my tablesaw is more of a table than a saw. It takes several minutes to clear off the accumulated stuff sitting on top of the tablesaw. The bandsaw is always accessible. Other decisions are also based on noise levels. The bandsaw is much quieter for the subdivision that I live in.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    ...my tablesaw is more of a table than a saw. It takes several minutes to clear off the accumulated stuff sitting on top of the tablesaw...
    Shame on you.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

+1.

Sell the saw (or any machine that gets not used) or donate it.

The day I get rid of my tablesaw is the day I quit woodworking (my shop is not big enough for a sliding saw). 'nuff said.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Michael, I built a table extension for my band saw not long ago...and I really, really, REALLY wish I would have done it years sooner!
    This is awesome! Thank you!