Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts on tool "quality"

One other thing to think about in the context of budget tools that may be of concern to you revolves around the manufacturing stage of the tool and what you are supporting. A lot of the budget tools are made in foreign lands where most things are cheaper, especially labour and waste management and sometimes raw materials. Let's face it, it's cheaper to make something if you can pay your employees crap, dump your waste in the creek behind the factory and buy raw materials that were produced for you in the same way. You may not support those things going on in your local community, but by buying those tools you ARE supporting those activities somewhere else. I try my damnedest to buy from NA first, Europe second and Asia if I can't do without but that's pretty rare.

Usually we are someplace betwwen two extremes. One side with tool collectors when the ultimate aim is appreciate great tools, its quality, craftsmanship and technology and another one just focussed in the final results with no cue on the method to get there.

Of course virtually all of us are not at any of that extremes, but at different points sometimes closer or farther of one of them.

BTW there is nothing intrisically wrong at any position. It is a choice.

I think you have to discover where are you in that spectrum and so decide what tool quality to go.

I am an amateur. Not a pro anyway. For me the total experience counts, it includes the joy to handle good tools (nobody is perfect... I am an Engineer)...

Regards,

Blog Entries
    There is also a question of effectiveness. Bargain abrasive and sanders will consume more time and money than better ones.

My position is that if a tool does the job that you want it to do, it is a worthwhile tool to have. You are the only one to make those decisions. Nobody else matters.

Could buy almost 3 card scrapers for $30...

I currently have two DeWalt ROS, a 5 inch and a six inch shaped like an angle grinder. The 5 inch doesn't vibrate enough to cause me an issue but the 6 inch beats me up pretty good. I have a lot of paper for the 6 inch but rarely use it due to the vibration. I will probably get a Bosch that has the agressive mode some Festool sanders have. It uses the paper the 6 inch DeWalt does. My point is that the brand isn't a great indicator of how nice a tool it is. I look for reviews these days before most tool purchases.

I buy pneumatic tools at HF, hand tools, but very few power tools. The reviews of things like their sliding miter saws are not great. But the prices are very low and if I needed one for framing I would be tempted. I have a HF oscillating saw and it is a useful tool, at a very low price. But more recently I got a Fein and it is a much nicer tool. But the price difference is $25 versus $150. I kind of like my big hammer drill from HF. I've used it to take down a brick chimney (in demolition mode) a brick veneer wall, and a mortar bed shower stall. The switch between drilling and hammer mode sticks sometimes and it has to be re-greased occasionally but it has done quite a bit of work for me. It cost about $100, a Bosch would have been over twice as much.

I also carry a tool roll of HF hand tools in my BMW convertible. They work fine.

I think your rule of differentiating by how much you use it is sound. I would also look for reviews. No brand is best at everything. And even if they were (or are) they won'd be the best deal. At least not in my opinion.