Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamping problem

Clamping problem

I'm attaching a curved fluted piece to a raise panel with pocket screws. Problem - how do I keep it tight together while screwing? I would appreciate your help. Thanks
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you cut a mating curve with a straight edge on the other side and clamp against the straight edge?

If your fluted piece allows, temporarily fasten a clamping ear to its outside edge with a flat parallel to the edge of the raised panel and clamp from that flat across the raised panel. Hot melt glue, paper joint, two layers of blue tape with ca glue between are some possibilities for temporary fastening. Alternatively, screw blocks to the end grain of the raised panel stile and the fluted piece and clamp them together.

How will the pocket screws be hidden?

Nice carving on the bookmatched walnut. Is that cnc machined?

1st suggestion, CA glue.

2nd suggestion, cut a square with an inside radius that will fit over the curved piece with the opposite corner cut off so you can clamp it to the curved piece. Then clamp against the flat side of the square to the opposite side of the panel. Make two of them, one for each end, and install the screws from the outside in and you shouldn't need one in the middle. If you have curved pieces on both ends you'll need four of them to clamp the second curve. I hope that makes sense.

Ron,

I am not sure if you just want to use screws or if you want to use glue to join the two sections. If you go for glue, Ted's suggestion will work; if you want more time to work, some form of spline (hand-made; domino, biscuit) with good old-fashioned glue will give extra breathing room. If using only screws, I would still go with a spline but temporarily fasten a block on the back surface (judging from the pictures this looks like an angle approximating 135 degrees) which will hold everything together while you insert the pocket screws. Two flat surfaces should be easier to work than curves (at least for me ).

You could use a pinch dog top and bottom if you do not care about the marks they will leave. Otherwise, I would use super glue to hold them in alignment and then screw them together, or build a cradle to hold your fluted piece in registration with the flat panel.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    Why would you have put the pocket holes on the face that will show? I would have put them on the back side per the second photo.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you all for the tips. The pockets will be covered with another molding, on either side of the panel. I'm getting good use out of my CNC. Must have a couple hundred hours of carving so far. Take a look at the Resolute Desk, my son and I are making our Roman version. Thanks again.

A temporary jig is your friend. Cut some pieces to the angle that the two workpiece intersect and with enough of them ganged, you should be able to clamp things together with quick clamps (soft jaws to not damage the machining on the workpieces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the edges are supposed to be flush at the corners, I'd use either packing or masking tape, applied with as much stretch as you can with the mating pieces laid flat and as close together as possible. When gluing, the pieces will be pulled back together and the tape will keep the seam tight. Practice first with tape running perpendicular to the joint so that you can see it closing up.
    Dan

Attached is a picture of the end result. I first tried CA, glueing a small piece of wood to a jig, totally unrelated. Didn't do a good job of it, good thing I could plane it flush. So, you'll see in the picture there is considerable time and effort preparing the pieces beforehand - CA is not a good idea in this instance. What we did was trying to hold the two pieces flush and screwing them together, then, remove screws and sand holes flush. Then apply wood glue and screw. Well it wasn't flush on the outside, but it was on the inside of the door. So, we're happy. I'll try the tape idea on the next set of drawers.
    Thank again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ron, that's very impressive. Would you care to offer tips on carving ? That looks like many hours of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Ron, that's very impressive. Would you care to offer tips on carving ? That looks like many hours of work.
    He mentioned that the carving is done with his CNC machine. So the task is "Draw", "Toolpath" (instructions to the machine how to move and cut) and then send the code to the machine to turn the picture into a 3D rendition in wood.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    He mentioned that the carving is done with his CNC machine.
    Thanks, Jim. I missed it. I wonder if there's a lot of sanding required after the machining gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I missed it. I wonder if there's a lot of sanding required after the machining gets done.
    While I'm anxiously awaiting my own CNC to arrive in about 6-8 weeks and can't speak from experience, with proper choice of the tooling (cutters) and tool pass overlap in the finishing cut process, the surface can be "darn smooth" upon completion of the carving. The specific material certainly can have an impact on it, but I believe there's a lot less hand-sanding required than might be expected if the job is properly setup and programmed. The more I learn about this, the more my mind says, "wow!".
    --