Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking About Building a Router Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    I like the bench dog top, but doesn't it have a nonstandard cutout?
    Perfectly "standard" for the BenchDog lift. Seriously, there is no 'standard' for the cutouts and there are several sizes and corner radiuses out there with the various manufacturers. They like to get someone to use their inserts/lifts with their tables for obvious reasons. I've been very pleased with the BenchDog cast iron table and the BenchDog lift.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From what I've read it's only the benchdog that is "nonstandard". I tried 3 different ones in my cutout. They all fit identically. Only one was from the same mfr. as the top.

Maybe things have changed in recent years, Thomas, but I do remember multiple products that had different dimensions from various manufacturers back in the time when I was building my original Norm Abram inspired router table. I had to cut a second top because of making, um...assumptions...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I built one of Norm Abrams Rev.2 router tables. It works well.
    I did too but I also had one in the wing of my table saw and it was so much more convenient that I never used the stand-alone. I wound up getting rid of it before I moved. I've modified the table saw insert to have all the functionality of the stand alone and I don't have to wander all over the shop to use it.

My router table is my fourth or fifth and looks like Norm's but it incorporates a lift adapted from an american woodworker article including a tilt up top - makes bit changes much easier. The top is a sink cutout backed with 3/4 plywood. No router plate. The router motor mounts to the lift which mounts to the back of the cabinet. My fence is held to the top by short pipe clamps. I have suction from the cabinet where the motor is and from the fence. I do not plan any more router tables.

The first rule for building a router table is do not use a router to put in it and all the problems connected to the top go away. A conventional router table is totally the wrong way to go, the top has to be stupidly strong, the router is stupidly noisy and the router lift costs a fortune. Using a CNC spindle makes way more sense as a recent thread here discussed and is cheaper with a better result and far more advantages.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...de-router-lift
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

My router table. Could someone tell me how to delete a picture and an attached thumbnail.
    079.jpgDSC_0111.jpgDSC_0193.jpgDSC_0195.jpg015.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 01-25-2018 at 8:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Maybe things have changed in recent years, Thomas, but I do remember multiple products that had different dimensions from various manufacturers back in the time when I was building my original Norm Abram inspired router table. I had to cut a second top because of making, um...assumptions...
    Sorry, Jim. I'm not trying to be contrary. I really liked and wanted to use the bench dog top when I was going through this about a year ago. But, everything I read said the bench dog opening would not work with standard lift type inserts. So, I went in a different direction for that very reason, and I verified opening dimensions before I bought. I have no first-hand experience with the bench dog. So, I am only repeating what I read from several sources of surprised (and disappointed users). Bench dog products appear to be quite excellent. I'm just saying to the OP to make sure the opening works with their plans.

I understand, Thomas. But BenchDog does offer their own lift...which I own and enjoy...and that's a solution if one really likes their cast iron top and doesn't already own someone else's lift. (http://www.rockler.com/bench-dog-40-...ustment-system)
    --

Yeah it's a nice lift. I just wanted the incra woodpeckers version with instant lift/lower, fine thumbwheel adjust, and magnetic inserts
    https://www.incra.com/router_system_...es-prl-v2.html

The other reason I went General/Excalibur is for the folding leg supports, which I suppose could be fitted to most any table. I thought a bigger table in front of the blade would be better, but eventually came to the conclusion that I would rarely need the bigger table. Hence, the smaller Excalibur table. Might regret it some day, but so far I love it and the fence is awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I understand, Thomas. But BenchDog does offer their own lift...which I own and enjoy...and that's a solution if one really likes their cast iron top and doesn't already own someone else's lift. (http://www.rockler.com/bench-dog-40-...ustment-system)
    Last edited by tom lucas; 01-25-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Thomas, your comment on table size is relevant to me. If mine was stand-alone, I'm sure I'd consider it too small, but I set mine up as a "poor man's shaper" on my slider so I have the width of the slider wagon available when I need it for routing edges of larger panels. (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=BenchDog)
    --