Thread: Who makes radial arm drill presses?

Blog Entries

Who makes radial arm drill presses?

I want a bench top radial arm drill press. I know only of Rikon, Grizzly, and Shop Fox offerings. Apparently Shop Fox and Grizzly are the same thing. Who else am I missing? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Rikon, but I'm that guy that overthinks everything and wants to look at every option on the planet before buying the one he originally wanted all along.

Again- looking for bench top model ideal for woodworking, and not one of the massive metalworking type.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I need to be asking WHY do more companies not make them? I love the versatility for the size.

Blog Entries
    Lots of sway, accuracy problems from same. If you want a solid radial drill press you want to move into this arena . . .

radial drill press.JPG

Its a lot like a Kubota garden tractor back hoe versus a larger machine; same function but, one is capable.

There are several companies that make radial arm drill presses. They appear to be more costly than my entire tool collection.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Its a lot like a Kubota garden tractor back hoe versus a larger machine; same function but, one is capable.
    Hah! My BX-22 is VERY capable and has been earning its keep since 2002.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A true radial drill is very top heavy and must be bolted down to a real foundation not just a concrete floor. I hear they often fall over while being moved and break or kill people and themselves.
    Bill D

Busy Bee Tools sell a bench top version. I wish they were more stoutly built and had more than the 5 speeds. Most people wouldn’t spend a grand or two for a drill press but I would to have the ability to tilt the head and have a decent chuck to column depth.
    https://www.busybeetools.com/product...ex-ct020n.html

Beat the bushes for one of these:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=10916

I agree with Dave. I paid $600. It is a 1951 Walker Turner. Took almost a year working on it when I could to redo it. Probably another $200 in supplies and some new bearings and a new old stock chuck. You can drill 31" away from the column. The column and the drill crank up very easy. COMPARE-LEFT.jpg

Walker Turned made a version designed to be mounted to an overhead I beam. Unlimited throat depth. I have heard of scroll saws made that way as well.
    Here is a small WT radial drill which, I think, was also sold under the Delta name until Delta bought Walker Turner just to get the rights to their drill presses.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccSX.GdaE64AOn0PxQt.?p=walker+
    turner+radial+drill+press&fr=yhs-pty-pty_maps&fr2=piv-web&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_maps&type=ma_appfocus1_ff#id=5&iurl=http%3A%2F %2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F131162136861-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg&action=click

Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-23-2018 at 10:12 PM.

I'm pretty sure Delta used to make a bench top radial arm drill press. I know my dad had one in the garage in the early '70s and it was probably a few years old then. May not have been a Delta, could have been a Craftsman. I can't imagine any other brand he would have owned back then. He also had a radial arm saw (probably a Craftsman) but not a table saw. I've often wondered what happened to those. When I was about 11 he bought out his uncle's lumber and hardware business and we moved. I'm sure he brought them with us, but then personal and company tools got mixed together and moved around a lot from home to work and several different buildings, etc. I don't know where they ended up, but they weren't around when we sold the home place last year.

I have a Craftsman version I got in the 90s. A bit under powered but did the job. I replaced it with a 50d Craftsman floor model. Too bad your not closer.
    Don

The more I think about, my dad's was probably a Rockwell.

I have the Delta/Rockwell radial drill press. It was new in 1975. It is a lightweight with more deflection than my other press.

I do like the throat depth but I rarely tilt the thing - It is easier for me to just band saw a ramp to support the work. That way I can switch back and forth to 90 degrees.