Thread: Dust collector Transition between Cyclone and Chip Bin

Dust collector Transition between Cyclone and Chip Bin

Greetings,
    I am researching cyclonic dust collectors and trying tofigure out installation strategy in my 24x28x12 garage. I would like to mount the cyclone as close tothe ceiling as possible. My questionconcerns that piece of flex hose that manufacturers install between the bottomof the cyclone and the chip collector. Can that piece be longer than the 6 or 8 inch one that mostmanufacturers include? I plan to have a55 gallon drum on the floor but my cyclone up in the overhead. I can build a support channel for the flexhose to keep it from doing the hokey pokey due to no support and that length offlex hose I am thinking of. Or would a piece of PVC work for thatlength?
    Has anyone tried this situation? Thanks!

Jeremy

Yes, the length of the connection between the bottom of the cone and the dust bin can be lengthened no problem. I helped a local friend mount her cyclone in the upstairs of her shop building and we put the bin downstairs in her shop for convenience. We did hard pipe for most of that for strength, but the last foot or so was flex. The primary requirement is that it MUST be absolutely sealed to the cone and the bin. You need that whole assembly to be absolutely air-tight with not even the smallest leak.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeremy,

No issue. Depending on the Cyclone the flex hose may be hard to find in shorter lengths and expensive. You can always keep the flex that comes with the cyclone and put a metal duct between the cone and the bin. Is this what you are talking about? What cyclones are you looking at?

SDD dust-collector.jpg
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Carl,
    This is exactly what I am talking about. I plan on the Oneida Dust Gorilla Pro 5hp with smart technology while they are on sale.

Jim, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    Jeremy,

No issue. Depending on the Cyclone the flex hose may be hard to find in shorter lengths and expensive. You can always keep the flex that comes with the cyclone and put a metal duct between the cone and the bin. Is this what you are talking about? What cyclones are you looking at?

SDD dust-collector.jpg

Jeremy,

Not sure if you have seen this thread (sorry I do not know how to create a better link - I envy colleagues who have figured it out already!)

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...ollector/page3 (search for Oneida and smart); it provides some perspectives on the product you are interested in.

Regards,

J.

I bought a cheap remanent at the local rubber store of a high quality 7' vac hose sued to vacuum out truck load of flour or whatever.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I bought a cheap remanent at the local rubber store of a high quality 7' vac hose sued to vacuum out truck load of flour or whatever.
    Bil lD
    Same for me here in central NC. Company named "Raleigh Durham Rubber and Gasket" is where I buy my hoses, by the foot.