Thread: Really big bandsaw

Blog Entries

Really big bandsaw

Interesting video from "Tips From a Shipwright". 42" "shipsaw". Also interesting he sharpens the blades by hand. I just love to listen to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoaOkqi-xxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUKkfA2gkI4
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-23-2018 at 8:37 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

And look how fast it cuts through that oak.

Ole ... thanks for sharing that. I always enjoy watching Lou's videos and this one is really instructive. The whole value proposition statement about blade sharpening makes so much sense. Maybe time to reconsider my approach to cutting (using a carbide tipped blade versus a high carbon steel blade).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Pretty cool way of making a straight edge on that log. I've never seen it done that way and I doubt I would have thought of it on my own.

A fellow named Twig Bower use a similar method of cutting rolling bevels on the planks for SV Heron. He used a shaper with a tilting arbor but his planking wasn't nearly as thick.

I saw this little puppy along the Fraser River in Richmond BC Canada a few years ago. It looks as if the centre point of the frame would be where the blade goes through the table and it also can tilt both sides of vertical. Maybe the same maker as the one in the video.

Ship saw 022.jpg

Very cool. Thanks Ole
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Guys building boats have some amazing skills, and really cool machines. How the heck did they do that a couple hundred years ago with those massive hull timbers?

John