Thread: New use for my belt/edge sander

Blog Entries

New use for my belt/edge sander

I have a 6x48 belt sander with a shop built platen set at 90 degrees. So after doing a lot of wood lot work this weekend, I decided it was time to break out my new $20 HF electric chain saw sharpener. Very happy with how that worked, actually cheaper than the new Stihl combo chain saw file, which I have and also works very well. Anyway it seemed time to "tune" the bars on my saws (Stihl 018 and 290) as the 290 suddenly started cutting crooked. So I deburred the edges with a small file and cleaned the groove and oil hole. Then realized the edge of the bar had worn unevenly and was no longer perpendicular to the sides of the bar. One rail was taller than the other. Thought about trying to file it flat, but then realized my belt sander would do the job much easier and more accurately. Tried and it really worked well. No I didn't use the dust collection system while working on metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-23-2018 at 1:22 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I would think it prudent to use that belt for metal only and use a new one for wood.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I would think it prudent to use that belt for metal only and use a new one for wood.

Doc
    I use my belt sander as much for metal as wood. No need to change out belts, except in this case due to oil in the bar groove. But then the belt I used was on its last legs. I do have a crepe rubber belt cleaning stick.
    NOW you tell me...