Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Purifiers-Do they really help control the dust? Trying to prevent fine Dust

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    AS J.R. indicated, the objective is to capture the dust before it becomes airborne.

I would suggest that you concentrate on collecting the dust at source, for example a table saw will require above and below blade collection.

Once you've collected the dust at the source, you won't need a secondary filtering method........Regards, Rod.
    Ya know Rod... the only time i have a real problem is when using the table saw. i will investigate the above the saw collection.. need a portable solution..perhaps one of those on scoops on a stand.

Air filtration systems do pull a healthy amount of suspended fines out the the air in my experience...normal machine dust collection isn't perfect, so any additional help isn't a horrible thing. Since I spray (waterborne) in my shop, it absolutely helps clear the air of suspended, dry finish fines in the air. Mine also serves to help circulate air for better heat distribution at this time of the year. (I have a JDS 2000 model 750 for my ~600 sq ft shop)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    AS J.R. indicated, the objective is to capture the dust before it becomes airborne.

If you don't, you need to wear suitable breathing protection while in the shop.

I would suggest that you concentrate on collecting the dust at source, for example a table saw will require above and below blade collection.

I simply leave the cyclone with HEPA filter running constantly while I'm machining and for 15 minutes afterwards. I don't have any visible dust and my particle counter shows that the air is cleaner than outside ambient air.

Once you've collected the dust at the source, you won't need a secondary filtering method........Regards, Rod.
    This all falls into the category of "every little bit helps". The units are not that expensive, and can work quite well, if properly set up. I have three small box fans mounted on the walls the cleaner is not on. That keeps the air moving around the shop to the cleaner. I do not count on "collection at source" to be sufficient, not without a ridiculously huge expenditure of money that most cannot afford.
    Mike

I have two of the Wen units purchased on Amazon. Considering how much sawdust I blow out of the prefilters every week or so I would say they do a pretty good job. I have a 3 HP cyclone and all of my stationary machines are connected, but whenever I run the widebelt, the edge sander, or do ROS sanding I run the air cleaners. I have two of them, one over the edge sander, and the other over the workbench/assembly table where I do most of my ROS sanding (I use Dynabrades with no vacuum attachment). I have had them for about nine months and I'm satisfied with them. I may get another one for portable use to put adjacent to wherever I'm hand/ROS sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I have two of the Wen units purchased . I may get another one for portable use to put adjacent to wherever I'm hand/ROS sanding.
    Thanks for your input.. i am thinking of doing the exact same thing, buying two now and a portable one to put in the proximity of where i am creating the dust. I can buy 3 of them for the cost of 1 Jet 1000

I've read a bunch about air purifiers in general (not specific to woodworking), and everything I've read makes me want to have one that I can move around. I'm thinking of something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AIRMEGA-Smart...purifier+coway

Seems like a lot of people hang the Jet models in the middle of the room but I think they are supposed to be near a wall to promote circulation.

Are there reviews of the Jet/Grizzly/etc vs. the other models for use in the home or in commercial spaces like cigar bars?

I agree that these units do collect dust, as evidenced by the filter. However, I remember reading article in FWW(?) that said these units are not much help in keeping the air in a shop clean, and in fact might make things worse. IIRC, the main point of the article was that these units circulate the air, which blows around dust that would otherwise have settled, plus they are not able to capture the really fine stuff that also gets blown around. I looked for the article online (I am a member of FWW online) and couldn't find it - sorry.

That said, I have a JDS that I use (along with a cyclone dust collector and a respirator that I wear religiously). A nice feature to have is a timer or delayed shutoff. I turn mine on when I turn the machines on and set it to turn off an hour or so after the last machine gets turned off. Also, since it is usually located near the ceiling, a remote is very handy.

Our shop is just a bit bigger. We have two powermatic air filters. They do make a big difference in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    Our shop is just a bit bigger. We have two powermatic air filters. They do make a big difference in my opinion.
    I assume these are on walls parallel to each other? Does the intake face the same way on each? Dav Cav can you weigh in here please?
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Finally found some actual data on the woodworking specific machines:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnp.../011213054.pdf

Is anyone concerned that these aren't HEPA rated? Seems like its just blowing the small stuff around.

Any opinions on this article? Not sure when it was written.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...tew/dtew1.html

Seems important to get all the visible airborne dust, but might as well get the super small stuff at the same time.

Box Fan Filter Grip

There is a new product "Box Fan Filter Grip" that consists of 2 silicone bands that are sized to hold a 1 x 20" x 20" furnace filter to a typical 20" x 20" box fan. You can choose different strength filters that suit you best. I have 2 fans in my shop that I hung from the garage door mounting brackets using multiple zip ties. The Box Fan Filter Grips hold the filters securely in place and creates a good seal between the fan and filter. I also have a box fan in my bedroom that I use a Merv 8 or higher filter to remove dust, pollen, and mold spores. I typically sleep 8 hours and so for 8 hours a day I am breathing purified air very economically. I got the box fans at Walmart for under $20 including sales tax and I buy filters 12 at a time online for under $6 each. The Grips were $11.95 per fan and should last a long time. This is the link for the Box Fan Filter Grips https://www.amazon.com/dba-Box-Fan-F...an+filter+grip

Jeff

Could you post a picture of how you have you fans on the door?

We all know 100% collection at the tool is impossible at least with hand fed machines in a hobby shop. My gripe with the majority of the ambient air filters is they have very low MERV ratings. Early on in the thread Bill Adamsen mentioned what I think is the most cost-effective solution for HEPA level filtration in the shop, Bill Pentz design. While you can certainly leave your DC running, as Rod mentioned, and it will be effective it isn't very energy efficient and they are also loud.

Three things I think improve the Pentz design are:

1. Build it only a mobile base. For the times you will be making more fine dust you can move it near you and grab more of what is missed by the DC/vac before it has a chance to infest the entire shop.

2. When you build it onto a mobile base build a frame for pre-filters. Mid-level MERV HVAC filters will reduce the fouling of the HEPA filter and reduce long term costs. You can even use foam AC filters which can be bought in bulk rolls and can be cleaned.

3. Build in a timer so you can let it run for a period of time once you leave the shop. A good choice is the mechanical timers similar to ones sold to use for bathroom heatlamps. They fit a standard electrical box and you can get them that allow times up to 8 hours or so. I think 2 hours is usually what I see recommended for ambient filters.

If you don't want to build something just buy the Honeywell 500250 air filter, they are about $130 each on Amazon. Three of them will move roughly as much air as the Jet, priced about the same and they are HEPA rated. This also allows you to have them in 3 different areas of the shop. Mo better.

BTW if you use the Honeywells the charcoal prefilter can be washed numerous times, the effectiveness of the charcoal/carbon is shot but in the shop it probably isn't an issue with smells (its going to smell like something anyway) but they still work fine as prefilters for years. If you are lax on cleaning you may want to rig a filter for the prefilter, easy enough to wrap the bottom of the Honeywell in more porous foam (like window unit filter foam).
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hang a box fan in garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Jeff

Could you post a picture of how you have you fans on the door?
    I added a photo to this reply. It is upside down. Sorry I don't know how to fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images