Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what type of plane is this?

what type of plane is this?

Hey guys. Was buying some stuff at a pawn shop and ended up with this plane and this other mystery tool thrown in.

The plane is Ohio tool co. It has a fence, depth stop, and a knicker.

Not sure what the other item is, at first thought it was a saw set for a large saw, but really have no idea. Either way they cost me essentially nothing so interesting if nothing else.

(Traditional) Moving Fillister Plane.

A few pictures would help.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    A few pictures would help.....
    ?? I did post pictures, would not have expected much more than guesses without them. Are they not showing up? I think they must be because Stewie nailed the identification of the plane it seems.

Blog Entries
    I had to google Fillister Plane to be sure it was a rabbet plane. I was tempted to say wooden plane, but I didn't.
    The definition said fillister planes were used making sash and windows.

Brandon,

+1 on Stewie, classic wooden moving Fillister plane.

By the way, in my view you have an extremely useful plane from a functionality point of view. It is definitely a keeper if in good working condition. Super buy!

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-22-2018 at 9:27 PM.

This plane is a moving fillister.

A fillister plane is a rabbet plane with a fence. A common fillister has a fixed fence to make a rabbet of a standard width. A moving fillister has a fence that can be adjusted to make a rabbet of a specific width.

A sash fillister has a gap between the fence and the iron. When used to make sash, the fence rides on the front side of the window stiles or muntins (the side toward the inside of the house), while the iron cuts a rabbet on the back side of the stiles etc, (toward the outside).

It appears to be good and functional. Iron is in great shape just needs minimal sharpening. Got these two items, 3 rabbett planes and an atkins saw that is in great condition and a decent brace for $30 out the door.

Stewie, “findmytool” is a great resource...wasn’t aware of it...thank you for posting.

So as a kind of follow up to my dado post, to get the terminology right, is it called a rabbet if it’s with the grain, and a fillister if it’s against the grain?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Stewie, “findmytool” is a great resource...wasn’t aware of it...thank you for posting.
    Stewie -- Allow me to add my thanks for those links.

That Rex sure looks like a leather awl for belts holes or maybe even a cobbler. Hard to tell without a sense of scale.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    That Rex sure looks like a leather awl for belts holes or maybe even a cobbler. Hard to tell without a sense of scale.

Or perhaps one of those hand presses you use to attach snaps or rivets.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post

So as a kind of follow up to my dado post, to get the terminology right, is it called a rabbet if it’s with the grain, and a fillister if it’s against the grain?
    Phil; preferably, rabbet & fillister planes should be worked with the grain when forming a rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Stewie -- Allow me to add my thanks for those links.
    +2 here. Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”