Thread: Woodturning Hawaiian Style

Woodturning Hawaiian Style

Had a chance to visit the island over the semester break. I was able to visit some world class woodturners in their shops.

On K'auai, I was able to accept Robin Clark's most gracious offer to visit.

http://kauaiwoodturners.com/robinclark.html

Robin had a piece of camphor on the lathe that he was getting ready to core. It looked great and smelled great with the scratch 'n sniff test. Robin showed us some koa table he had made for a local cafe over lunch. Really outstanding work. Robin turns on a Powermatic 3520b. Here's a picture of Robin and I looking at his collection of turnings from around the world.

Robin Clark Collection A.jpg
    On Mauai, dearly beloved and I visited the ship of Emiliano Achaval.

http://www.hawaiiankoaturner.com/about_the_artist/

Emiliano says he doesn't get free wood. He has to harvest from the rain forest on his property. It looked like it was a jungle out there. Emiliano turns on a Stubby 750 series. This was my first time to see a Stubby up close; a very interesting machine. Emiliano also writes for the British woodturners magazine.

Emilian Achaval A.jpg

Both great woodturners. Both very hospitable and welcoming. I'll have to save my school teacher's pay for a return trip sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Had a chance to visit the island over the semester break. I was able to visit some world class woodturners in their shops.
    Looks like a great visit. It would be wonderful if all schools could send all teachers to just one educational place every year!

You can go on YouTube and look at the previous showings of the annual “Hawaii Woodshows” held in Honolulu. The event showcases some of the best woodturners and furniture makers from all the islands. I have been very fortunate to have been invited to participate for the last ten years.