Thread: Using Festool work table top for Dust collection

Using Festool work table top for Dust collection

In my shop I need to watch the footprint on tools. My table saw outfeed table doubles as a dust collector as it has a A/C fan inside. Now I'm wondering about replacing the top with the Festool work table top and get triple use.

Thoughts anyone?

Dan

Im confused, how does your table saw outfeed table act as a dust collector? Do you mean like a downdraft table?

DIY-Downdraft-Sanding-Table-37.jpg
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yes, a downstate table. It is mobile and can be locked. The top is about 2X4 ft.
    I don't have access to a computer and can't see how to post a picture.

I give up trying to post a picture. It keeps saying "Front.jpg:this png image has the incorrect file extension"

Dan

Try renaming the file: Front.png

Nope, then the file name now is *.png.jpg.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that you can use your MFT top for your dust collection. I can see one problem with that, in that you generally need some kind of baffles or ramps under it to direct the dust to your collector hose. That kind of interference would negate a lot of what an MFT or Ron Paulk style perforated top has going for it, namely being able to clamp through the holes in any part of the top. If that doesn't matter, then I guess it would be reasonable.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Doc,
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do have ramps that channel air to the 20X20 filter. You are right that I would probably not be able to use all the holes. The ones to the far right and left where the ramps go up to the surface.

Do you think it would hurt the tops functionality to route 1/4" round overs in the top of the holes to improve air flow?

Dan

I think the other thing that you may find is that the festool top will not allow for enough air flow with the stock holes in the top. We dont own or run any Festool in our shop but if you look at most down draft tables they are mostly air (a lot of surface area dedicated to airflow). The MFT style tops have no where enough airflow to serve much of a purpose. A downdraft relies on high volume, low velocity, air flow. The stock MFT would more than like result in a a lot of medium velocity, low CFM, air flow.