Thread: Rolly Munro Hollowing bar and Bosch hollowing bars

Rolly Munro Hollowing bar and Bosch hollowing bars

I have the Hope Hollowing system and like that very well. I have the Hope 3/4 and 5/8 bars with carbide cutters. However I can't get to the shoulder very well with what I have. I have looked at Jordan and Jamieson, but didn't see the bars offered in 5/8. Trent Bosch offers some nice bars in 5/8 and should work fine. I am looking at HSS for the Bosch bars. Then there is Rolly Munro system a bit more, but have many good things. It appears that it could be configured to accommodate the shoulder and side areas. I would think the RM could be used in a system or with a handle but don't know. I'm thinking the carbide cutter as that system is basically catch free. The reason I want it to work in the system as I have a camera for the system. Would like any comments or if there are other bars to consider.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I use the RM 3/4” in all my bars/systems. Cameras look at anything.

I've been using the Rolly cutter on boring bars in a captured system from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC for around 10 years now. I've hollowd many hundreds of vessels this way works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I've been using the Rolly cutter on boring bars in a captured system from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC for around 10 years now. I've hollowd many hundreds of vessels this way works great.

Joe, did you just buy the links and cutters?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Joe, did you just buy the links and cutters?
    No they were not available that way back then. However you can buy it that way now from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC.

Why not use the RM with the handle? If all you're doing is the shoulder, that's not much cutting. You could easily do it free hand. Or virtually any hooked style cutter out there. The RM head is great though....... I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Why not use the RM with the handle? If all you're doing is the shoulder, that's not much cutting. You could easily do it free hand. Or virtually any hooked style cutter out there. The RM head is great though....... I love it.
    I use the Rolly to hollow vessels from the top to bottom not just the shoulders on vessels anywhere from about 4" to 32" deep.

Joe, 32" deep WOW!!! What sort of system do you use? I too like the RM but with my system about 10" is as deep as I will venture.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Joe, wow 32". I tried that one time without a hollowing system and fortunately the piece cracked so didn't finish. Got about 10" deep. That sold me on some kind of system.

Kyle, I'll have the system already set up, so that is why I want it to be compatible.

Right now I'm torn between the Rolly and the Bosch tear drop scrapers. The Bosch are about $100 less.

Kyle, I'll have the system already set up, so that is why I want it to be compatible.
    I understand. What I'm saying is that just that shoulder cut is pretty fast, I usually just grab a free hand tool and finish it up...... No need to deal with resetting your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Joe, 32" deep WOW!!! What sort of system do you use? I too like the RM but with my system about 10" is as deep as I will venture.
    I use the captured system from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. with the 1 1/4" boring bar.

Joe, wow 32". I tried that one time without a hollowing system and fortunately the piece cracked so didn't finish. Got about 10" deep. That sold me on some kind of system.

Right now I'm torn between the Rolly and the Bosch tear drop scrapers. The Bosch are about $100 less.
    Please remember there is no comparison between a cutting tool & scraping tool. The Rolly is a cutting tool not a scraping tool.
    Only you can decide what is the right choice for you but if you plan on doing much hollowing at all that $100 is peanuts compared to the time you'll save with the Rolly cutter. Like I mentioned before I've hollowed many hundreds of end grain vessels with the Rolly. It is much faster & efficient than any scraping tool.
    When I consider I've been using the Rolly for about ten yrs now and there's no reason it shouldn't last another ten ( except for the replaceable cutter) I'd say it was a Great Value I'd even consider it inexpensive giving how many years it will last even with it's inicialy high cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    Please remember there is no comparison between a cutting tool & scraping tool. The Rolly is a cutting tool not a scraping tool.
    Only you can decide what is the right choice for you but if you plan on doing much hollowing at all that $100 is peanuts compared to the time you'll save with the Rolly cutter. Like I mentioned before I've hollowed many hundreds of end grain vessels with the Rolly. It is much faster & efficient than any scraping tool.
    When I consider I've been using the Rolly for about ten yrs now and there's no reason it shouldn't last another ten ( except for the replaceable cutter) I'd say it was a Great Value I'd even consider it inexpensive giving how many years it will last even with it's inicialy high cost.
    Joe, do you have extra links or just the one that came with the tool. You're starting to convince me.

Joe, do you have extra links or just the one that came with the tool. You're starting to convince me.
    I have 2 links as that is what came with it when I bought mine. That said I have only used both links on 2 vessels both of them were over 12" in diameter with large shoulders. I'm able to turn a lot of vessels without any links at all because of the articulating of the cutter head and having openings that are not to small. If your not familiar with my work I don't post a lot of pictures but I do have some on my facebook page your welcome to look at.

Looking at you tube videos on the Munro cutter, Mark Sanger's tool popped up. Also known as the Crown Revolutionary hollowing tool. It comes with carbide and scraper cutters. It appears to a good value and works similar to the Munro system. Does anyone have this or seen it?