Thread: Routine maintenance to unisaw and jointer

Routine maintenance to unisaw and jointer

Hi everyone,

I have been posting a lot recently about very entry level questions as I am trying to build my first shop and get into woodworking the right way. So I really appreciate everyone's input. It has been very valuable.

Over the weekend I bought a used unisaw model 36-955 which I think is from 2000. It has a biesemeyer fence and extension table. I also bought a 6" delta jointer, model 37-220.

My question is what routine maintenance and care should I do on these machines? They are currently stored in a heated garage. However, I only turn the heat on when I am going into the garage to work and do not keep it on all the time. I put a light coat of WD40 over all the cast iron surfaces to prevent moisture and rusting. Anything else I should do?

What about monthly/yearly maintenance? Or as needed maintenance? Any grease, wax, PMs I should perform?

Thanks again!

For starters, never use grease on any exposed surface for either a table saw or jointer (really for any piece of equipment that's going to be exposed to saw dust). Really, there's nothing that you can use grease on for home woodworking equipment (most everything is going to have sealed bearings), grease just attracts sawdust and turns into a nice paste that can gum up everything.

What you'll want to do is go through and brush off any caked on dust on your screw drives, lift or tilt on your unisaw and jointer, just take a nylon brush to them and knock off any build up from the screw and from the teeth. If you want to go further than that you can get some dry lubricant spray, like this dry moly spray - https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03084-Net.../dp/B0013J62P4

Going through to make sure your tables are in alignment, ensuring your blades are set properly whenever you change or sharpen them on your jointer are all basic things you should do.

Also: No more WD-40 on your tables, it can leave residue on your pieces that can cause spotting on your finished parts.

Instead use a non-silicone wax, like Johnson's Paste Wax, to routinely put a quick coat on your tables. This will keep them from rusting as well as provide a level of lubrication that will help pieces move smoothly across them. I personally use a beeswax/mineral oil combo on my tables and it works just fine.

Really, for most woodworking equipment the maintenance is keeping it clean, if you're able to do that, and make sure it's square every once in a while, your equipment should outlast you.

What Drew said. Take some mineral spirits and get all that WD40 off.

I'm wondering what WD40 is really good for. It's not a good lubricant, and not even a very good penetrating oil. I guess it's sometimes good for removing stubborn price stickers.

WD-40 is good for "water dispersal", hence the name, but then you have to clean it off and use a proper lubricant and/or protectant. It has no place in my shop.

Nick - I recommend a book called Shop Machines, a Complete Guide to Troubleshooting and Maintenance by John White.

A Creeker recommended it in a thread a couple of months back and I got it to help with a jointer issue. It covers all the main shop machines and is thorough and understandable. It doesn't presume you know a whole lot.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the input. I will get rid of the WD-40 and I am going to get some of the Johnson paste wax tomorrow to use instead.

I doubt there's any aligning of the tables on that jointer. Just moving them up and down. I use the wax on wax off just like Mr Miyagi says.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

I'll beg to differ on lubrication for wood working machinery.

on my saw/shaper there are several items that require greasing such as trunions, shaper column and lead screws. Yes the bearings are sealed however there are many moving surfaces in some equipment.

Likewise my jointer planer requires lubrication for the planer table column and planer drive chain.

The cast iron surfaces get a coating of paste wax.

Your manuals for your machine should cover lubrication..............Regards, Rod.

What saw are you using?

I have never come across a person or publication that recommends exposed grease in a dusty environment. The combination of dust and grease becomes an effective grinding compound that can damage the surface it's intended on lubricating.

As for the planer, those are usually enclosed systems, unlike your trunions and screws in your saw, which is why grease can be used.

Basically- if it doesn't have a grease nipple from the factory, grease isn't the right choice.

I've owned a Unisaw (the same one) for about 30 years and use it regularly. My maintenance is primarily designed to make work easier. I clean the top surface and fence with lacquer thinner and then wax and buff with butchers wax. It dramatically reduces friction on material you are cutting as well as sliding jigs such as a crosscut table, tenoning jig, etc. Periodic deep vacuuming and cleaning is a good idea as well, even if the machine is hooked up to dust collection. A fundamental task is to maintain blades and knives to optimum degree of clean and sharp. On all tools I also check and tension belts and lubricate the tool where indicated, replacing bearings if I sense they are failing. I always check the maintenance and user manuals having once not noticed that a bolt was reverse thread, causing myself untold hours of anguish.

I will mention that that virtually the only major maintenance my Unisaw has required since purchase has been the replacement of belts.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I called Delta and talked to tech support. They said lithium based grease on gears and trunions on my uni. Said dry lubes won't cut it. Said to clean old grease off with brass brush and apply new with tooth brush sparingly.

Yep. I’ve torn apart and restored several old woodworking machines and this book has been indispensable for tuning and maintenance. Should be in every shop.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/15615...vAL&ref=plSrch

This will answer all your questions on how to keep you machines running well. Covers table saw, jointer, planer, drill press, and bandsaw.

Been recommending John's book for over 15 years now. I think every shop should have one, along with a copy of Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic."