Thread: Grizzly G0458

Grizzly G0458

Anyone own this? Im seeing its on sale a bit, is it worth it?
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1...ce=grizzly.com

I have had it for about 8 months and I like it but i will admit it can be frustrating sometimes when the feed belt will not track stright. I put a set of wheels on mine so I cam move it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have had it for about 8 months and I like it but i will admit it can be frustrating sometimes when the feed belt will not track stright. I put a set of wheels on mine so I cam move it around.
    Thanks. I see it has pretty good reviews, but also same complaint.

I would use it to flatten boards once I glue them up. I can do 15" in my planer, its when i am over that and want to just tidy up some joints.

I have had mine for 7 years and have used it a lot. Since I work with mostly figured woods I use it as a planer. I have a spiral cutter jointer but not planer. Takes a bit of time but does a good job. When I first got it I kept popping breakers. I thought if one sent the wood through at the slowest speed it would solve that problem. Nope. Non-intuitively, sending it through at the highest speed works. It seems that the shorter the time any part of the wood is against the drum, the better. As Jim said, adjusting tracking is a bit fiddly. My only problem is that, because adjustment to the thickness is at the table rather than the head. Consequently there is no way to use an outfeed table. At the sale price it is a very good deal.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bought a used one for $450. Sold it for $450 about 4 years later when I bought a Supermax 25/50. Belt tracking issues are a pain. Some of the bushings that are behind the side plate are a pain to get to for oiling. Attaching the paper takes some getting used to. It does keep the paper tight though. With all the belts it a little noisy. I can't even tell my Super max is on half the time. I made an adaptor to hook up to a 4" dust collector hose. Dust collection was so so. Half way through my ownership, the motor started to continually trip the thermal overload. I dropped a 2hp motor into it and it was fine. I think the drum is better supported(more ridged ) then the Jet.

What is the difference between the G0458 and the G0458Z? Looking at the 2018 catalog I only see the Z model and it is selling for $695.00. It appears that the G0458 may be being replaced by the Z model and why it is on sale. I am curious what the difference is and if the $20 is worth it for the newer model.

you can compare them on grizzly's site look for the compare tab at the top of the site. dosen't look like much difference

Thanks Ted. Looks like the biggest difference is the Z model has multiple speeds and a larger dust port - seems to worth the extra $20

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trenc View Post
    Thanks Ted. Looks like the biggest difference is the Z model has multiple speeds and a larger dust port - seems to worth the extra $20
    Actually both have variable speed feeds. Only difference I can see is the 4" dust port.The Z model is the only one in the new catalog so probably the reason the older one is on sale.

A
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I considered this sander, but the belt tracking and table height adjust scared me away. I went with the Supermax 16-32. I love the fast adjust that the Supermax offers. But it is nearly twice the price of the Grizz.