Thread: Dewalt 733 planer problem

Dewalt 733 planer problem

Hello!
    I noticed the other day that my Dewalt 733 planer was not removing the same amount of material from the left and right side. I haven’t taken a thickness caliper (don’t own one) to it but when planing several pieces if I run a board through the right then run it through the left I can hear it remove more material.
    Anyone have a similar problem?
    The blades aren’t brand new but still sharp and I try to alternate what side I use to evenly wear the blades.
    Thanks!
    Kevin

I've got the 734 and I think they are the same, anyway, i noticed the right side was getting thinned down more than the right so I took it apart, cleaned the blades, brackets anything that I could clean I did, put it back together and worked great. I think what may have happened in my case I didn't get the screws as tight as I should have and I noticed that some red oak shavings got between the blades and the brackets or whatever you call them. I know know it sounds weird but I swear on my daddys grave it fixed my problem. Wish you the best

Kevin,
    The 733 has the non-indexed blades so I'd start by checking the depth of the blades. They could have slipped in the head. While you're there I'd just install freshly sharpened or new blades.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Kevin,
    The 733 has the non-indexed blades so I'd start by checking the depth of the blades. They could have slipped in the head. While you're there I'd just install freshly sharpened or new blades.
    Hope this helps.
    It looks like one blade might have slipped like you said! Freshly sharpened and reinstalled

Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
    I've got the 734 and I think they are the same, anyway, i noticed the right side was getting thinned down more than the right so I took it apart, cleaned the blades, brackets anything that I could clean I did, put it back together and worked great. I think what may have happened in my case I didn't get the screws as tight as I should have and I noticed that some red oak shavings got between the blades and the brackets or whatever you call them. I know know it sounds weird but I swear on my daddys grave it fixed my problem. Wish you the best
    Bruce,
    Did you take the entire assembly off? I reinstalled the blades and that seems to fix it but I'm sure I could clean things up. It also squeaks a lot when I raise/lower the motor assembly.

Thanks,
    Kevin