Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make a wide flat bottom dado?

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Don't see how you can use a riving knife since cut is a through cut.
    The blade is buried during the cut except when it enters and exits the cut, therefore not a through cut. A riving knife is like a shark fin sitting just behind and a touch below the top of the blade, so it works when the blade is inside the wood. A splitter sits higher than the blade, usually holding a blade guard and anti kickback pawls, so it can only make through cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    The blade is buried during the cut except when it enters and exits the cut, therefore not a through cut. A riving knife is like a shark fin sitting just behind and a touch below the top of the blade, so it works when the blade is inside the wood. A splitter sits higher than the blade, usually holding a blade guard and anti kickback pawls, so it can only make through cuts.
    Since I do not have a riving knife I assumed it was similar to a splitter. I stand corrected.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    A rabbet plane will flatten the bottoms all to exactly the same depth quicker than you can set up a router & with a lot less mess & noise. They are a wonderful tool.

I would do this in two stages. First, use your table saw to cut the depth of the rabbet at the inside edge. to give you a crisp edge there. Then I would use a router, either in a table or handheld, to hog out the rest with a flat bottomed bit, starting at the end of the board and working my way to the saw cut.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.