Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to make cut out handles

Just to throw a spanner in the works I would suggest that you do the whole job with the router and a copy ring. Make your template to suit whatever cutter and ring that you have and route in multiple depths. Much quicker and cleaner than mucking around with drills and/or jigsaws.

Greg, if you see the last pic I posted, I do not need perfect 90 corner because I actually like the contour in the corners like the pic

I have a stationary oscillating spindle sander which makes this job quick and easy with no template required. Choose the spindle to match the radius of the handle corner. Rough out waste and then use the fence with stops (or eyeball) to establish the handle length. The fence depth from the face of the spindle establishes the size of the handle. The sander has good dust collection and is a stable platform for sanding the inverted drawer. A waxed surface keeps even finished drawers from getting scratched. Finished handle requires little additional sanding typically just to match drawer edging profile.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I'm in the template routing camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwokpRYBN4

As far as the sawdust issue is concerned, that's just part of woodworking.

David, i originally evaluated also big holes pulls. The cabinets as per my picture are really modern nordic looking, kind of minimalist. The roundish handle would be too small on a 40x12 “ drawer. I looked for pictures and i thought that for such a big surface squarish would have looked better. the rectangle still has some countoured angles but it looked to me that the half moon kind looked occurd. The pics i attached were the only one I found as an inspiration. It is hard to find cutout pulls ... i guess it is too modern and industrial looking42DF5779-ADEC-4D60-8F7F-4304C845928A.jpg52DF6145-792E-44E6-9CA1-274898B5E9A1.jpg

Hello Sam, the material is 3/4 BB ply. if you look at my original pics and others that i attached to other replies you will have an idea of the industrial look i am going for...some would call it Nordic or Scandinavian. i love BB ply,,, Thanks for your suggestions. i only concerned about the time to complete. We need that room and at the same time it has become my playground and all the things that i wanted to design in my life and I could not!

If time is a huge issue - buy and attach a bunch of cheap wire pulls. Get a size that the drill holes will be within the footprint of your cutout handles. This spring or summer - take the drawer fronts out as you have time and saw/rout the pulls. I understand that is not what you are wanting to do but worth a consideration?

I really like the look you are intending so my suggestion is not an alternate - just a deferred gratification plan .

BB will require 3 passes with a router unless you precut to near the line. I like BB too but it can be brutal on high speed cutters.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Well, that is a good idea! However considering how much it will take to perfectly align the doors (they are inset), I am not sure I want to take them out in the summer. I might just go for a round cut (to put my fingers in and pull the drawers) and call the day....the summer I get the weather not the time...and the company I work for is squeezing 14 h of work out of me

Laura - The hand holes in your first photo look better to me and should be easier on the hands than some earlier totally square hand holes you showed. I like the rounded corner holes here. I also liked Sam's idea of installing wire pulls now and then cutting out your preferred hand hole later on, but your taste and schedule may not work for that. I wish you success.
    David