Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to make cut out handles

Best way to make cut out handles

I love the simplicity of these cut out handles. See:
    https://cdn.remodelista.com/wp-conte...2-768x1152.jpg
    However my drawers are really big (40x12)...what is the right length of the handle. Is there any proportion kind of rule? What is the best method to make them. I have a plunge router but never used before. Thanks for helping
    LV

For wider drawers, you might consider two cut-outs rather than one. Once you have decided on a pleasing contour, make a template (1/4 mdf is fine for this) & fair the curves with spokeshave, files or sandpaper; use the template to mark the contours on your drawer faces. Use a bandsaw or jig saw to cut out most of the waste (to within 1/8" or less). Then stick the template in place with some double face tape and remove the waste with a bearing guided router bit.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

+1 ^. I make them just as described by Jim above. I make my templates to these dimensions (there is no "standard"-- builder's choice):

Drawer Scoop Template 1-21-18.jpg

Blog Entries
    I don't have a need to use it, but your tip is a very good one. I like it.

I like to make my templates big enough to use clamps without them getting in the way. I don't quite trust double sided tape that much, clamps aren't a "consumable", and are probably quicker.

i decided that the cut out can be easily rectangular... i guess it would be easier. Hovewer i would love to build a jig because i have 30 cut outs .... which bit do i need to use if i build a jig? any preferred method? i would love to avoid jig saw and drilling....consistency might be an issue.

I wouldn't bother making a rectangle. The photo you posted was probably done with a router. I would take a piece of 1/2" MDF the same size as your drawer front, I would then layout the shape of the cut out. Drill a hole at each end and then cut with the jigsaw. Sand and finesse until it is what you like. Clamp the template to the drawer front and go to work.

Laura-- the point of using a router jig is to get the consistency you want. Drill and jigsaw are the "rough cuts" and the router cleans up to the precise pattern--- so even if you use a router (which I would recommend) you still want the jig saw (drill optional)-- or even coping saw or scroll saw or band saw-- to cut close, then follow up with the router. A drill press makes it easier to make a clean, smooth round-corner template/pattern.

1/2" mdf, as suggested above, is ideal for the template/pattern--but any scrap material would work. Mdf is good because it is easy to shape to a smooth pattern.

To do template routing, you should get a "pattern bit" aka top-bearing bit like this:

Infinity pattern bit 1-22-18.jpg
    Can also be done with a "bottom-bearing" or "flush trim" bit by putting the template on the bottom:

Infinity flush trim 1-22-18.jpg

cutout baltic birch.jpgLet me clarify when I say "rectangle": the shape of the cut out will be like the one in this picture. My understanding is that I need to build a jig with the same shape to put on top of the drawers and route the opening. If I use a pattern bit do I plunge all the way down and then I follow the template (clock wise) or do I have to do a pass at the time? I thought that a square/rectangle cut out would be faster and it would look better in particular on huge drawers (2x). I could not find any good video in youtube for this specific application. Sorry I am a visual person
    Last edited by laura vianello; 01-23-2018 at 7:55 AM.

Jerry, I was trying to avoid one step and tons of dust. While I can take care of router dust I have no way to limit the dust with the jig saw. If I have to use a jig saws, I need to wait for spring to do the job out side. Because I have few hours a week, the weather in the northeast does not always deliver what I need . I am trying to look at youtube using a different keyboard "pattern bit". I do not really care if after the project the bit is trash, I need to do things quick and easy because I am doing this alone with almost no time. thanks for your great suggestion. TC

I was advising against doing all the cutting with the router. It CAN be done that way, but it's a little slow, and you should really "nibble away" at the cut, not try to do it in a single pass.

If you WANT (I wouldn't but you can) do do the cut-out in a single pass, and more rectangular, you'd be better off with a smaller-diameter bit:

spiral bit 1-23-18.jpg

BTW-- the router will fling lots of dust at high speed. The jigsaw makes less dust and doesn't throw it as far (slower speed tool). The coping saw makes even less dust.

I would suggest you use a router and a template guide with a template cut out in the shape of your handle. The biggest issue will be with the corners, as the router will obviously leave rounded corners. If you really want them square, you will need to jigsaw them or chisel them square.

What many would do is jigsaw out most of the waste, then run your router to clean up the edges.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Template routing is the way to do the final cut...wasting extra material with a jigsaw makes for a single pass with the router. I find that best results come from roughing the cut with the jigsaw (or bandsaw) to no more than half the pattern router bit's diameter. This whole operation can be pretty quick with batch processing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Laura can you hang some visquine curtains (taped together at the corners) around and underneath your work area to contain the jigsaw dust and chips? The method using a jigsaw (or similar) to rough cut within 1/8" of the line, followed by the top bearing router bit against a template results in a very consistent and clean cut out. Also, I know you did not ask, but for my eyes, a rounded corner handle looks better and would feel better to use than the squared off handle. I agree, it is your cabinet and the handles should be whatever you like.
    David

What is the material of the drawer fronts - plywood, solid hard wood, pine? Just curious as to the amount of work ahead of you .

You can do it all with a router and a top bearing bit as shown above with some care. Ideally the bit should be a 1/2" shank and not a real tall cutter.
    The long cutter creates an issue with doing this all with the router as in order to do this safely, consistently and not burn up more than a few bits (the reason for my 1st question) you will need to take multiple passes. The hardness and thickness of the material be your guide. For 3/4" thick ply or hardwood I would take 3 passes. For pine I would be comfortable with 2 passes.

In either case you want your template to be 3/4" thick so that you can lower your bit incrementally and always have full support of the bearing on the guide. The 2nd and 3rd passes are easier - as you lower the bit you increase the support at the bearing but the need for full support with the 1st pass is even more critical. This is why you want a shorter cutter and a thicker template. A 1" cutter for 3/4" material is great.

I too prefer to make my templates big enough so that I can clamp at either end well clear of the running router. I don't like taking chances with double sided tape or the like. A secure template well located and out of the way of your work zone makes for the safest approach. Drawer your centerline on the template so that you can easily and repeatedly register it on your work.

Of course the template will need to be cut with other than a router so no matter your approach, at some point you will have some saw work.
    Nearly everyone above has encouraged you to cut to your line and just use the router to clean up your edge. That is the best method as it eliminates lots of passes with the router and the repeated element of risk and fatigue that is a factor of that work.

Perhaps consider investing in a good coping saw. Do some hand cuts to minimize the dust. Its quiet work and though not the fastest approach - fast enough and good practice. It will cut down your router work by at least 1/2. Could be fun.

I use to be an apartment dwelling /working furniture builder in the day too. Built some custom hexagon shaped poker tables with leather tops in my early days (among other less ambitious projects). They were quite the conversation pieces when company came calling. They were there for nearly 2 months so lots of opportunity to talk around them. You do what you have to do . Good luck.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge