Thread: Masking Film For CNC

Masking Film For CNC

Ive been searching around and searching the archives here and finding a lot of results for masking films and laser engraving but not finding much specific to CNC (if that really matters). We have some Oramask on order but its kind of spendy and wondering if anyone has any input on other options or what they use for masking that will get routed through. These will be simple setups, machine the sign blank, spray whatever finish is needed for the field, mask when dry, CNC route the lettering, spray the lettering, peel the mask. May be an added step in there if for instance lettering and a machined border are different colors but same basic principal.

Thanks for any input.

Can't help you much with masking. One of the reasons I started using solid surface material for signs is because there isn't any need for masking. Multiple colors are a snap as I can spray paint or use a foam brush without the need to be tidy at the edges. Once the paint dries my ROS removes the paint on the surface and I'm done. The lower labor costs generally make up for the higher cost of material.

If someone here can recommend a masking material that is reliable and doesn't cost a a mint I would give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Can't help you much with masking. One of the reasons I started using solid surface material for signs is because there isn't any need for masking. Multiple colors are a snap as I can spray paint or use a foam brush without the need to be tidy at the edges. Once the paint dries my ROS removes the paint on the surface and I'm done. The lower labor costs generally make up for the higher cost of material.

If someone here can recommend a masking material that is reliable and doesn't cost a a mint I would give it a try.
    Im with you there Keith. I have a bunch of requests for wood signs though and was planning to seal/mask/route/spray/peel/ship lol. I found a different source for the Oramask so guess thats my best option to try.

Is there a spray on/peel off mask "out there"? I remember using something like that many decades ago when I was a teen and heavily involved in model cars. I used it for unique finishing paint design purposes. It went on almost like contact cement but was, if I remember correctly, some form of latex.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oramask 813 is what I use. The cost is relative. If you make high value things, it is easier to justify. Some people recommend regular old contact paper but I found it unsatisfactory. It peels off if you are cutting fine details with a V-bit. It might work if you are carving big things but I wouldn't bet an important job on it.

I have looked for a spray on - peel off mask and haven't found one yet. I would love to hear about it if you find one.

Thanks Art. The 813 is what I have coming.

I recall someone talking about a spray mask. I think they got it from Uline. Its been a long time ago at a CNC meeting I went to. I'll do some digging and see if I have any notes.