Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The future?

These doomsday programs are produced by isolated and fabulously wealthy Hollywood elitists who have no idea how corporate America works.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I don't think it's quite that dystopian. I think it's more like a game of musical chairs where there will be some chairs eliminated, but there will always be chairs. Specifically jobs that are more based on judgement and/or specialized skills versus those based on repetitive tasks. I don't see technology taking the place of professionals like accountants, lawyers, engineers, architects, software and hardware developers. What about direct health care providers like nurses, physical therapists, physicians, dentists, chiropractors? How about service providers like cosmetologists, chefs, building trades? What about most anything in the entertainment industry for those that have the creative or performing talent? If I were advising a young person today, I would tell them to think strategically about a career choice with a consideration on technology displacement. I would think being a robotics engineer would be an excellent career choice! Plus there are always new developing fields. Was there such a thing as a software engineer in 1975?
    There is automation underway for about half those jobs already, or they will be done in other countries. If your job doesn't require being physically present then it can be done overseas for less. If a medical doctor can do a virtual visit why couldn't they do it from India? My credit union has virtual tellers at some branches and that work could be done overseas too, but customers might not like not dealing with an American since there is video. Software development is already done overseas often in India. Robotic engineering could be done overseas too. Computers are smart enough now that they can replace some lawyers and accountants for basic stuff.

Robots are already cooking food at some fast food restaurants. Fast food will soon be ordered via self service kiosks. Some tasks handled by humans at hospitals will be replaced by robots.

We have enough jobs right now to keep everyone employed, but that may not always be the case. Bill Gates has proposed a tax on robots to provide every American with a basic income. Part of the problem is the trend towards low paying service jobs often with no benefits.