Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross grain dado technique

My suggestion is don't worry about sawing through the groove.

If its not visible, its not there................kinda like "if it looks straight, it is straight".

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    So this is ridiculously nit-picky, but...

"cross-grain dado" is redundant, because all dados are cross-grain. If it's with the grain it's called a "groove".
    Although I agree with you in a strict sense, my weak memory always forgets which is which.... So the redundancy is appreciated by me. Oh, and until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten the proper definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Although I agree with you in a strict sense, my weak memory always forgets which is which.... So the redundancy is appreciated by me. Oh, and until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten the proper definition.
    I guess I just always have called or imagined that a groove cut into the field (not the edge) of a board is a dado. I do know that a groove cut into the narrow side of a board is just called a groove though, not a dado (ala tongue and groove). I don't know where the 'official' term is defined although Oxford doesn't get specific about across or with the grain in their on-line dictionary.

I have been known to set up my Mitre Box..
    dado saw cuts.jpg
    And set the depth stops to where the bottom of the dado is cut. ( nice part here...I can also cut a dado at about any angle across the grain..)
    Either a chisel to pop the waste out..
    BIG chisel.jpg
    Or, a Stanley #39 dado plane to clean the bottom of the dado..
    finished dado.jpg
    Just in case I don't want to set up the Stanley #45.....
    dado setup.JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I guess I just always have called or imagined that a groove cut into the field (not the edge) of a board is a dado. I do know that a groove cut into the narrow side of a board is just called a groove though, not a dado (ala tongue and groove). I don't know where the 'official' term is defined although Oxford doesn't get specific about across or with the grain in their on-line dictionary.
    Wikipedia is good enough for me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dado_(joinery)
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Wikipedia is good enough for me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dado_(joinery)
    Yeah, Patrick probably made that entry. LOL

Dados are always cross grained. Grooves are cut with the grain. Patrick is correct. If you use the vocabulary incorrectly, you are likely to confuse experienced people - the very people who can do you the most good.