Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The "Ultimate Tabletop Machine" for Woodworkers

Zero? You mean really zero, like NASA wants? Yes, but you will spend NASA prices. Use a drive system similar to what VMC's use. You wont get that on a router table.

What you can do us use some of the higher end (non-eBay type Chinese) ballscrews and under drive them using small closed loop steppers or servos.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Looks like a great machine. I am curious about the specs? Cut speeds, travel speed, accuracy, intended cut media, weight...? I suppose this machine would work wonderfully for machining non-ferrous metals.

Brad...
    Your questions... Cut speeds up to 600ipm, Rapids 800 (tested @1000) step resolution .0004/.0002, positional accuracy: sub .001. Machining envelope: 24x, up to 45Y, 9Z.

It's intended for woodworkers, but it should cut non-ferrous metals better than most sub $30K machines

Shot some video of a test file: https://youtu.be/fjk9FjHg4vg
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Very nice specs.

I figured it was intended for woodworkers, but I have seen images of the machine you made for milling alum parts, and figured it would be good for that too. Mine does so so for aluminum, but the gantry is not quite stiff enough to get a perfectly smooth cut I would like.

I like the air cylinders on the dust boot. I really want to add that to mine. The over the top tool holders would work better for me, but I have a number of tools that are larger in diameter than the tool holder.

If you don't mind, why WinCNC vs. Centroid?

Brad...
    Mostly I/O. These little machines use over 20inputs and almost that many outputs. WinCNC has a much more robust mainboard than the Acorn..... for now. They both are far advanced over most of the DIY controllers and it would be a close race if they had equal I/O. Probably a slight tilt to WinCNC on a router table, to Centroid on a mill or lathe.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

What is the size of the servos in that machine if you don't mind sharing? Any idea of the sticker price?

Brad...
    Teknic says they are ~300 watt. I can say that I am able to increase the accel/decel more than double over 900 ozin steppers.

Pricing would be available via email: gcnc411@gmail.com
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

A few test cuts before the 2nd machine goes off to its proud new owner: https://youtu.be/LHKHqkKT4aA
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Very Impressive Gary, fine job.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I know that you can never have enough, but for those that use ATC, how many tools do you use on a regular basis? I was thinking of adding an eight tool rotary changer, but at a couple grand, wanted to make sure it wasn't just piling on dollars that many/most would not use.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Hah! I could be really happy with just 5-6 tools max. I think the most I've used on a single file during this learning process is 6 and I try not to go there if I can by carefully thinking through things as I'm setting up the toolpaths. I try for no more than three, honestly, and minimize changes even with the FTC.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-27-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd be in the 5-6 range for a small dedicated machine. Is it possible for you to have the ATC as an option? I could easily see a very varied shop moving a lot of work wanting more on even a small machine but Id guess it would be rare.

We use, on average, 5 for sheet goods, 4-6 for carving, and 2-4 for engraving but each project is different. We keep a few loaded tools holders around for other stuff (spoilboard cutter, slab flattening, most used bits not on the machine, etc.). We have a 10 tool changer and still need to swap some out per project. You didn't say what size your current ATC rack holds, but maybe adding more tools holders (and a remote storage rack?) along with an easy way to swap out and remeasure the tools might be a better option than a bigger ATC rack.

Thanks, Guys...
    I think I will leave 5 tools as standard and add a rotary 8 tool changer and double the HP of the servos on this next one, more of a production level machine. I appreciate the comments and insight.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I must be out of the loop if you can do atc spindles for only 2k.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.