Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to fit box joints

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    How well does epoxy do if mixed with a bit of sawdust to hide any small gaps? Yellow glue doesn’t stain very well when used this way.
    The best thing to do is to mix up your sawdust with some stain first and then mix it with the glue. What I prefer to do is mix "natural" color wood putty with stain and fill the holes with correctly tinted wood putty. Or I cut slivers from matching wood to fill gaps.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Liquid Hide Glue also lubricates joints as they are being pulled together and offer the ability to undo if the glue up does not work as desired.
    David

I've always found Titebond Liguid Hide Glue works good.

I had a little Unibond 800 left from a veneer glue up and tried it on some tight box joints and worked great.

I frequently make large boxes – 12" to 16" high – typically gluing up the same day cut. After a few hair raising struggles with standard TB1, I've shifted to TB Extended Time which can be hard to find. Its extended open time gives the confidence needed to assemble, square and clamp. I am most impressed that someone would consider using epoxy since I would think it would create a daunting cleanup job and challenge to final sanding and successful finishing.

Tips I've learned cutting box-joint drawers. Wood species matter. Loosen pattern when shifting from softwood to hard. Glue ... less is best. Easier cleanup and there is so much surface area that not much is required. Drawer/box corners are cross-grained construction. Butts will stand proud in winter and short in summer.

Lee's suggestion is actually what I would do. Cut slivers (hand plane) of the same wood and slide those into the cracks with whatever glue you used. Cut and sand the excess when cured. Since the joints have adjacent end grain you might be able to slide the slivers in on an angle and still have it look right and match expansion/contraction more or less.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The time it takes to apply a little glue on each surface can be quite time consuming especially on a 12 to 16” hi box.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lansing View Post
    The time it takes to apply a little glue on each surface can be quite time consuming especially on a 12" to 16” hi box.
    After trying some systemized approaches (combs, etc.) I have settled on brute force ... turn up the radio and use a small wooden stick to apply glue on top and bottom of each finger by tapping quickly. Getting through all eight corners can take enough time that the TB Extend is most welcome. I'm sure there are better ways, but that is how I do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

That has been my method for years - small wood stick and radio volume up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I frequently make large boxes – 12" to 16" high – typically gluing up the same day cut. After a few hair raising struggles with standard TB1, I've shifted to TB Extended Time which can be hard to find. Its extended open time gives the confidence needed to assemble, square and clamp. I am most impressed that someone would consider using epoxy since I would think it would create a daunting cleanup job and challenge to final sanding and successful finishing.
    Bill. I may have an easy solution for you I use with Titebond. It is terribly dry here and I do drawers with slatted sides, so many parts. What I do to increase is take a cakepan, fill it with about 1/2" of water, and a couple of minutes before I start to clamp up I dip the ends in the pan. Has not caused me any problems and allows me to use Titebond in the winter. I tried the extended time stuff,, but really not much difference for me.