Thread: Craftsman Built in Bedroom Closet

Craftsman Built in Bedroom Closet

Hi,

We are in the planning stages of adding a master suite to our house. It's probably a long shot but does someone have photos of the built in closet on page 180 of Robert Lang's Shop Drawings for Craftsman Interiors? I'm proposing this for our closet to my wife, but she is having trouble visualizing the line drawings.

Thanks,

Travis

Blog Entries
    You could build one using Sketchup.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The image on the previous page (179) is similar, although the cabinets beside the window seat are pretty narrow. You could check "The Craftsman" online, (The image is on page 106 of the October 1907 issue) or the book "Building Craftsman Homes" for something similar. This far down the road I'm not sure what I used for a reference, might have been an original architectural drawing.

The advise about making a SketchUp model is pretty good. That's what I would do.Bedroom_VolXIII_No1_Oct07.jpg

Bob Lang

Travis Fatzinger,

Do you mean?:

Lang_Craftsman Bedroom+Closet Interior_Pg 180_181.jpg

I imagine that someone has used these drawings to design closet fittings, but of course, every situation will have a different configuration and I think you might simply go through books of Craftsman interiors to suggest the general atmosphere.

Here are some fairly random samples by simply googlizing "craftsman interiors closet" and selecting the "images for"

walk-in-closet.jpg

ISlmbm9ol9x9b80000000000.jpg

559f6e4f1610885938effff59b4d99da--locker-designs-closet-designs.jpg

custom-mudroom-cabinets-in-flower-mound-tx.jpg

92-10.jpg

These are not all terrific Craftsman designs, but show the general idea.

Can you post the layout of the room, showing doors and windows?

I agree with Lee that a Sketchup model done so as to depict the layout in the actual room will be the best argument for. I use it all the time for my projects. Here the current one: decidedly unfine woodworking, a quick desk that converts from CAD design to MIDI/ music production:

Computer & Music Desk_Desk _Closed_12.26.17.jpg

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 01-21-2018 at 2:40 PM. Reason: dyslexia

Thank you all for the responses, I think I might have missed the notification that I got any responses at all. It's pretty neat that the book author will respond here.

Anyway, almost a year later I'm getting ready to start making the doors and order hardware. My question at this point is what the best hinges are for this application, I assume the originals would have been standard butt hinges, but being a novice woodworker I think blum hinges would allow me more adjust ability to get the reveal right. Are European hinges suitable for large doors like this? Each door will be about 20" x 80", frame and panel, solid wood, no glass.

Thanks for any insight.

Closet 2.jpgCloset 1.jpg

I would go with butt hinges. Euro hinges would work but are likely to sag over time with heavy doors like that. I can't post a link here but there is a post on my blog titled "Butt Hinges Without Fear or Loathing" (Excerpt from my book "The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker") that takes you through the process.

Bob Lang

Thanks Bob, I found the article, I'll take a look and try to find some quality butt hinges.

Travis

Make it a little deeper than the usual so you don't have to stuff the sleeves in to close it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Make it a little deeper than the usual so you don't have to stuff the sleeves in to close it.
    Good idea.

I'm still trying to decide on hinges. I think I have severely limited myself by making the face frames 3/4" thick, so I think I can only use a 1 1/2" butt hinge. I am looking for weight ratings on standard hinges for cabinets but not finding much.

I am considering adding a deep drawer at the bottom to make the doors shorter and less weight.

Also considering external "H" hinges from Acorn. I realize they're probably not true craftsman style but our house isn't a period house so I'm more or less doing what we like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I'll add to this. when I made my bedroom set, I folded up what was to go in the drawers and sized the drawers from those dimensions. I then scaled the dressers from the drawers. Worked out great. Also, while I prefer wooden drawer glides or web frames on my client pieces, for my own use I used full extension metal slides. This makes it so much easier to get stuff in and out of the drawers although it breaks with tradition.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler