Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here - NC

New here - NC

As the title says. I'm new to the forums. A number of searches for different woodworking questions led me here for answers so I figured it would be a good community to join.

I'm a software engineer by trade but have always worked with wood since I was little. My parents use to design and make "proof of concept " crafts for Watermark, which was a crafts company that sold on shopping channels such as qvc. They would design and make the plans which were sold to the company to license and produce. I spent a lot of time helping where I could, as I got older being able to help more and more.

Before I went into software I worked construction doing everything from footers to finish work, my favorite parts being roughing in and electrical.

I am building up my tools and working on whatever projects I can, nothing fancy but serviceable for the projects I've tackled so far. Interested in the more intricate jointing methods.

We live on a small homestead right now, we have goats for milk, chickens for eggs, raise a couple turkeys each year for the holidays and meat rabbits. Hoping to get a larger plot of land to grow our little operation.

That being said, most of the projects I take on fit in one of two categories, something needed for the animals or a fun project for the house that lets me explore different woodworking methods. We occasionally do "upcycling" to make something new out of something old.

My shop is a prefab 10x20 shed that I wired and will soon be insulating. It's small but gets the job done. I enjoy being out there and am slowly finishing the building into what I envision for it.

Anyway, before I get too long winded, I'm glad to be here!

James,

Welcome to the Creek. I’m up the road from you a bit, in VA.

You’ll find friends here and learn a lot. I know I have!

James, welcome to SMC. We're glad to have you join us.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Howdy James and welcome to the Creek.

If your interests are in hand cut joinery we will likely be seeing you over in the Neanderthal Haven. Even most of the hand tool folks use some power tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by James Alton View Post
    ......Before I went into software I worked construction doing everything from footers to finish work, my favorite parts being roughing in and electrical.
    ...We live on a small homestead right now, we have goats for milk, chickens for eggs, raise a couple turkeys each year for the holidays and meat rabbits.
    James,

Glad you are here!
    In what part of NC do you live? I used to live in Kernersville. Our place here is near Knoxville, TN.

I'm retired software, about 11 years now. Most of my shop time is woodturning but I do use general woodworking around our farm here. Currently trying to finish a new peacock house! (A sawmill behind the barn helps a lot for farm buildings) I also have llamas, alpacas, horses, chickens, guineas, turkeys and honeybees here. I had a lot of goats in my pre-llama days.

I'm not much interested in the finer aspect of woodturning such as the intricate jointing! But I'm with you on the construction - I built my shop from the dirt to the wiring - I tell people I built it with my bare hands but I lie - I used tools.

I am interested in getting some meat rabbits. I just discovered a guy a 1/2 mile from us raises and sells them.

Please post some photos of your place and animals!

This is mama Clarissa with baby Dria, age: 30 minutes!
    baby_alpaca_dria_IMG_0837.jpg

JKJ

Welcome James! Glad to have you join us!

Yup, this is a great site - a wide range of interests and skills, always friendly (thanks to our moderators) and always something new to learn.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

James, welcome to the Creek. If the NC means North Carolina you should also look into the North Carolina Woodworker forum. When I lived in Virginia those folks were wonderful. They meet in person and online with a lot of advice.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the creek. We hope to see some of your work and be able to answer some of your questions. There is lots of remarkable talent here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If your interests are in hand cut joinery we will likely be seeing you over in the Neanderthal Haven. Even most of the hand tool folks use some power tools.

jtk
    I'm lurking there, hoping to have something to post about, whether it's a question or a project.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    In what part of NC do you live?

I also have llamas, alpacas, horses, chickens, guineas, turkeys and honeybees here. I had a lot of goats in my pre-llama days.

I am interested in getting some meat rabbits. I just discovered a guy a 1/2 mile from us raises and sells them.

Please post some photos of your place and animals!

JKJ
    Southern NC, little town no one knows. I live a hour west of Charlotte.

My dad is wanting to get into turning, iom waiting for him to make the purchases so I can try it out. We are hoping to purchase 35 acres soon and will be expanding into other animals, horses and a couple cows being the first we want to add.

Meat rabbits are a joy. Easy to care for and can fill a freezer. We started out with New Zealand's and have a few different types now, start out with a buck and a couple does for breeding. They will multiple... like rabbits. I keep mine separate except for breeding time.

I'll have to take a few pictures, not much to show right now though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    James, welcome to the Creek. If the NC means North Carolina you should also look into the North Carolina Woodworker forum. When I lived in Virginia those folks were wonderful. They meet in person and online with a lot of advice.
    I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome, James!!! 'Looking forward to your projects!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome, James. Rabbits, ah, that brings back memories. When I was a kid just after WW2 my aunt raised rabbits. They had quite a few--maybe 8 or 10 hutches. Anyway, they would skin them and cut them up, wrap them and then take them over to the food locker. This was before people had home freezers. I recall that they were quite good to eat and apparently, inexpensive. My aunt was not one to spend an extra dime if she could avoid it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Welcome James. There's a wealth of information here with some very knowledgeable folks who don't mind sharing. Always remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Welcome from Arkansas. We just returned from a lovely vacation in NC. Want to return on my motorcycle
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Welcome, James. Rabbits, ah, that brings back memories. When I was a kid just after WW2 my aunt raised rabbits. They had quite a few--maybe 8 or 10 hutches. Anyway, they would skin them and cut them up, wrap them and then take them over to the food locker. This was before people had home freezers. I recall that they were quite good to eat and apparently, inexpensive. My aunt was not one to spend an extra dime if she could avoid it.
    They are good, if someone has you over for dinner and pulls the meat you would never know it from chicken. I know that's everyone's favorite saying but it's true for rabbits. Very low fat, high protein meat. The average meat rabbit yields about 4 pounds of meat and from birth to slaughter is between 2-3 months depending on breed. They nurse for the first 6 weeks then eat regular food. Today I can pickup a 50 lb bag that can feed the breeders and the babies for about a month. The bag costs around $15, so if you have 2 or 3 breeders and breed one a month, you can have a steady supply of meat. Ours have 6 or 8 per litter, so we get between 24 and 30 lbs per month for $15 after startup costs. You can make your own fees of course to keep costs down, they live in the wild so there's plenty of food there. If I had to or wanted to, I could fees them cheaper but $15 is a pretty good cost for the convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Welcome from Arkansas. We just returned from a lovely vacation in NC. Want to return on my motorcycle
    I'm without a bike right now but there is nothing better than riding back roads in nc. You can rise the mountains, beautiful fields in the piedmont area and the outer banks, all in one day if you want! Making me want to go get another bike right now.

Rufus is sad that you are eating his kin...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...