Thread: x-y vise for a benchtop mortiser?

x-y vise for a benchtop mortiser?

Recently acquired a benchtop mortiser and have heard about the inadequate nature of most "hold-downs" that come with them...Many have recommended a X-Y vise to correct this . I never have used an X-Y in the past..So, my question:
    Generally, in your opinion, what is the best X-Y vise to help with this clamping/alignment issue on a benchtop mortiser...
    Your advice on this will be very helpful to this mortiser "newbie"....Thanks in advance..
    Jerry

Jerry,
    I can't recommend a brand/model to you, but I've read a couple different articles about how to convert a Grizzly or HF x-y vise to work on a mortiser. IIRC, you have to drill/tap a hole in order to reverse one of the handles. It wasn't anything difficult. I went to an HF store and looked at it to confirm. (I decided not to buy one because I came up with other ideas. But it might meet your needs. You can find them on google.)

Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Jerry

Mine is just a relatively inexpensive, 4", Chinese made, X-Y vise. But it is exponentially better than the fence and hold downs that came with the Delta 14-651.
    If I was looking for the "best" X-Y vise, I'd probably ask Bruce Page, or another of the machinists here on the site, for recommendations.
    You will have to make your own base though if you use an X-Y vise, to get the drill head up higher. There won't be enough room under the chisel if you don't.
    Lots of internet info on how to do it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I use a Kurt vise on my Bridgeport mill. If you can find a used one it might be an option, they’re like a Bentley car otherwise.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Jerry,
    I have the older version of the Delta with the same "simple" holddown/fence style and haven't had any real problems making lots of mortises. I am used to manually controlling the stock onthe lift and the fence keeps alignment "in line" when set up correctly. I haven't used an XY vise and was considering getting a PM floor model mortiser with the built-in XY-----but I bought a Domino instead. I still like doing M&T joinery so I'll see if the Domino changes my habits.

choices?

Amazon must have over 30 different x-y vises on their site..So many choices? I better research it further.
    Thanks already for your advice.... I probably should just do some mortising with the new machine and see if its workable.Thanks agin..I'll continue to read this thread.
    Jerry

John

John, My new "used" Delta mortiser (14-650) is probably the same model you have.... Your comment:

I have the older version of the Delta with the same "simple" holddown/fence style

I think I will follow your suggestion and try it first with existing lock down...Makes sense...Thanks for your advice.
    Jerry

Same model here. I cut blocks the height of the table to support the stock tail and if the stock is thin--lower than the fence--and the hold down doesn't contact the stock I just add a long peice of scrap to create a longer table at the right heigth. I take small bites--lifting the bit to clean out the chips--use the airhose to to blow out the pesky swarf and to cool the bit as well. If you don't have the conical diamond hone get one--sharp edges on the chisels make a huge difference. I rotate the bit so the chips exit away from the cut lines but there is usually enough chip flow to make the airhose worthwhile having at hand. When the bit clogs--stops turning--open the chuck access door and spin backwards--. I think you will find the XY isn't needed but not having one makes that observation uninformed. It's been a fun machine to use and I enjoy doing M&T joinery so it will be interesting how the Domino changes things for me. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Jerry,
    I've read a couple different articles about how to convert a Grizzly or HF x-y vise to work on a mortiser. IIRC, you have to drill/tap a hole in order to reverse one of the handles. It wasn't anything difficult.

Fred
    Is this the article?

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...Conversion.htm

Years ago, a friend gave me a Grizzly X-Y Vise that he got as a freebie when he bought another tool. It was new, unused. I used it on my drill press for a couple of years. I hated it. It was crude, had way too much slop even after tightening the gabs, the tiny thumbscrew locks were largely ineffective, and wasn't what I'd call a quality tool under any stretch of my imagination. When somebody came to buy another tool I was selling, I pointed to it and asked him if he wanted it. He said, "Maybe! How much?" I told him if he took it for free, it would save me the hassle of carrying it to the dumpster.

I can't answer your question of which one is the best, all I can say that it can't possibly be a Grizzly.

My experience with my Delta, after trying several alternative approaches, I stayed with the stock hold downs and just develop a rhythm of working with it. By far the best improvement are better chisels.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    My experience with my Delta, after trying several alternative approaches, I stayed with the stock hold downs and just develop a rhythm of working with it. By far the best improvement are better chisels.
    I second what Bill said. Also a cone shaped sharpener and nice flat stone and learn how to sharpen the bit. Most of my problems diminished when I learned how to properly sharpen the chisel. Mine is a Jet.

Good info/advice here....anxious to actually mortise some holes but my "to do" list keeps getting in way...
    I will try your suggestions and now have some ideas on X-Y vise if needed....Thanks..Helpful counsel..
    I'll keep checking in..
    Jerry