Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treat for Festool Fans

Treat for Festool Fans

Interesting review type video on a Festool saw. Caution fans, you're not gonna like it.

Pfffffft...
    So the guy has a beef with the price of Festool & comes across as some kind of "consumer champion" by pointing out how much plastic is in the saw.
    Big deal.
    I wonder just how much he actually used the saw before he tore it apart?
    Come to think of it, I wonder what he did with the saw when he was done?
    Does he say? I quit watching the video after a couple/three minutes.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

He probably put it back together and sent it back in the thirty day trial. Watch out for that saw on the reconditioned tool sale.

I watched it through to completion. He brings up some good points, and potential failure mechanisms, but nothing earth shattering. It's kinda nice to see one taken apart, but he did at one point break it, because he did not know how to take it apart, or have the correct tools to do it.
    He has problems with the drive support bushings and bearings, drones on and on about that. He doesn't like the installation of the brushes, and the motor cover material.
    Essentially he must believe that all carpenters and woodworkers just throw their tools down when they're done. This facet is repeated often about how the plastic, and bearings wouldn't survive a carpenter, or tradesperson, throwing the tool on the ground. Not sure if you guys/gals that do this work are in the habit of just tossing your tools down during work, but I highly suspect not.
    The testing of the melting points of the various plastics was a lot of nonsense. Apparently he believes that the saw will melt, if used continuously, by a carpenter????
    He really should have known the price of the tool though. It's not a thousand dollar saw. He harps on that incessantly.

He is also self admittedly not a wood worker, or carpenter, and has a fair amount of disdain for anyone that is.
    You see these videos all over the internet, for any type of machine or device. I wouldn't take it too seriously. The second video of the saw is actually more informative, but you need a pretty good electronics foundation to understand some of the points.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-21-2018 at 9:21 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

He is Canadian, saw is close to that with rail in canuckia.

Apparently he believes that the saw will melt, if used continuously, by a carpenter????
    By coincidence, he may just have stumbled onto something there. Remember Per Swenson? He told me to be very careful about running my TS 55EQ without a dust collector of some kind hooked up to it. The air flow from the DC is what cools the saw.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    ...I wouldn't take it too seriously...
    I think that is exactly what AvE is poking at. I think many a woodworker has taken the perceived quality of some tools too seriously, some worthy of it some not.

This video has made the rounds here about once a year since it was created. I'm sure this thread will end the same. I don't care either way. What would me more helpful is if he tore the Bosch and DeWalt apart and compared. I agree that all track saws are expensive when compared to a $200 worm drive skillsaw that is made to survive a ladder fall, but a skillsaw is HEAVY. It comes down to love or hate for Festool and a persons mind is more than likely made up before watching the video. The company charges what the market will bear or they would go out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I think that is exactly what AvE is poking at. I think many a woodworker has taken the perceived quality of some tools too seriously, some worthy of it some not.
    I agree.
    I do own the Festool, TS75. At the time I bought mine, I had a very specific use for it, and still do. Other options at time weren't going to be significantly less unless I went the Craigslist route. The market has changed with regards to track saws in the past 3-4 years, and now there are a lot of quality alternatives.
    At the end of the day a tool either works for you, or it does not. It doesn't matter how much it cost, or who makes it.

I would like to see the price of the rails come down, for all track saws. No way those aluminum extrusions are that expensive to make.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

IMHO, it's a mistake to assume anything about quality and longevity using materials as the base-line. How a material is used within a design matters, too, and "non-metallic" materials can have excellent properties that don't limit longevity when things are done well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've tried to watch this posters videos and I can't get past 60 sec, imho he could find fault with a 3" pure gold ball bearing.

Whether you're a fan or not, that video is a waste of time.

There's nothing of value in it that I found, just a lot of personal bias and lack of knowledge regarding engineering and material science.

I have no doubt that the saw will do exactly what the Festool engineering staff designed it to do, with reliability and accuracy.

I own a Festool vacuum, cordless drill, and ROS.

They work exactly as advertised and for the first time in a decade my hand doesn't go numb sanding, the dust collection is great, the vacuum holds all the bits and pieces much better than any vacuum I've owned, it's as quiet as my Nilfisk and a pleasure to use.

The cordless drill packs up perfectly, is compact and works well....No complaints with it.

I have no idea about other Festool stuff as I only bought what I would use and like from their product line.

I have a friend with the tracksaw, he says it's accurate and has good dust collection, which is extremely important to him when working in a bank or a lawyers office suite. I wouldn't buy one as I have no use for it.

The video would be a lot better if he had some MTBF calculations or statistics to support his viewpoint.....Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf View Post
    I've tried to watch this posters videos and I can't get past 60 sec, imho he could find fault with a 3" pure gold ball bearing.
    I thought that might be the case too until viewing the following video. He liked the KitchenAid mixer. I'm beginning to think my wife's sense of value is better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I thought that might be the case too until viewing the following video. He liked the KitchenAid mixer. I'm beginning to think my wife's sense of value is better than mine.

Is that a coordless Dewalt Tracksaw he opened the box with? HaHa. I wish I had that kind of money to tear apart expensive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf View Post
    Everybody knows gold is too soft a metal to hold up in that application. You need diamonds.